AGR Points Sale again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratkinson

Conductor
Amtrak Guest Rewards is having another points sale! They sent me an email earlier today.

The good news is that the points are on sale.

The bad news is that unless you buy enough to get good percentage bonus, you won't be getting the supposedly-standard-except-for-Acela rate of 34.5 points per dollar. In short, divide the number of points by dollars spent to figure out what your 'rate of return' is. But then, if you're thinking about booking a 70,000 point vacation and only have 25,000 points right now, this would be a good way to get your vacation sooner rather than later.

If you buy points with your Amtrak credit card, do you get the double (or triple) points added to your acount (as in "Amtrak Spending")?
NO! Because the purchase is points.com or something like that...not Amtrak. Only 1 point per dollar.
Correct!

Most people do not realize that they are not buying points from either Amtrak or AGR. The points are actually bought from points.com who then transfer them to your AGR account. Another example is when you purchase from the Amtrak online store. You do not purchase from Amtrak, but actually from Staples and thus also earn only 1 point per $!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did buy a few hundred as that was all I needed to add on my balance to pay for the car r/t on the AT. Like someone said...1,000's no, but a few hundred, maybe.

A few years ago you could get 50 % off points,even if you bought 500. That was the last great deal they had. This is no bargain

Back