Amtrak photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG 642!!
default_laugh.png

Is there any significance of the number "42" in regard to veterans, or is it just a coincidence that the two (powered) veterans units are 42 and 642?
Veterans have seen a lot of life, the universe, and everything.
But what's the connection between that and the number 42?
[emoji1]

It’s a reference to “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams.

I hereby assign it as summer reading. It’s a classic.

Is there any significance of the number "42" in regard to veterans, or is it just a coincidence that the two (powered) veterans units are 42 and 642?
Veterans have seen a lot of life, the universe, and everything.
But what's the connection between that and the number 42?
[emoji1]

It’s a reference to “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams.

I hereby assign it as summer reading. It’s a classic.
Thanks. I'm looking it up.

Here are some of my photos. This was train 8 at Shelby, MT and Dunkirk, MT, same day. I tend to use the last one as my profile picture on other platforms.View attachment 9717View attachment 9718View attachment 9719

That whole stretch of scenery between Shelby and Williston(aside from noticeable oil fields once you get closer to Williston, North Dakota), is very nice. Aside from the oil fields on the ND side of the border(the only part I didn't care a lot about, but what can you do), you do briefly see the Fort Union Trading Post(a former Native American fur trading post between various tribes, today it's a NPS historic site) right from the train window, along with seeing some interesting rocky cliffs and also a brief part where the tracks get very close to the Missouri River. It really is a great part to travel on by train, and one would better appreciate that stretch via doing an actual Empire Builder train trip this way. Also about the Fort Union Trading Post's location, it's barely east of the ND/MT border. So when you see it going east you will have just crossed into North Dakota for your first time on the train. If you're going west and see Fort Union, that is barely before you leave North Dakota for good, and cross into Montana. As the state border between North Dakota and Montana, is actually BARELY west of where Fort Union is located! Funny enough the parking lot is on the Montana side, while the Fort Union fur trading fort itself is on the North Dakota side.

The only minor aside I'll say, is that I did see a sad and sobering sign somewhere outside of Havre, MT(forget where) that likely was on an Indian Reservation somewhere, warning people about the dangers of using meth! It was sad to see that, and it made me think meth probably is a big problem among whatever Native American/Indian tribe I saw that sign at, where the Empire Builder passes through in Montana.

Last edited:
Back