Rude light rail riders...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, I remember trying to board the light rail in Baltimore once - it was right after some event at the Inner Harbor, so there were a ton of people getting on the train at the same stop - and some doofus was sitting on the steps just inside the car doors, blocking about 2/3 of the width of the entrance. He did not get up or even try to squeeze over - he just let everyone try to climb around him.

I'll tell you what... I found more public courtesy in NYC than I have in Dallas or Miami or even Southern California.
As a general rule of thumb, I would agree. However, I've found that it's not too rare to find yourself next to a bit of an "anomaly" on your commute.
True. The news bears that out sometimes, unfortunately.

It's still legal for them to smoke on a train down there? Yikes.

Makes NJT sound a whole lot better--I think I'll stop complaining about it for a while!
default_tongue.png

Most of the time mind their own business around here. I remember the one time (mentioned it before) where someone just started going off on me for some reason. I was only going to there for a few stops and didn't feel like sitting down. Then this starts yelling at me to sit down, just in case somehow I go crashing into him. I'm maybe 6 feet away from him in a by the door. I tell him no thanks I stand. Then he starts yelling at me to put my smart phone down because he's worried that I'm taking a photo of him. Totally weird guy. I just walked to the other end of the car to avoid him and got out in 5 minutes.

We encountered a lot of exceptionally nice people last week in Denver.

Young people who would actually get up and offer you their seat on the light rail.

On the buses, when a wheelchair-bound person or one with a walker came on board, people not only got up to give them the handicapped area, they raised up the seats instead of waiting for the driver to do so. Nobody had to be asked to do it.

We encountered a lot of exceptionally nice people last week in Denver.

Young people who would actually get up and offer you their seat on the light rail.

On the buses, when a wheelchair-bound person or one with a walker came on board, people not only got up to give them the handicapped area, they raised up the seats instead of waiting for the driver to do so. Nobody had to be asked to do it.
Fortunately I've found that people on the busses and subway in NYC tend to be very courteous towards pregnant, handicapped, or elderly passengers. In my experience, it's very rare to see someone in any of those groups have to stand because no one offered up their seat.

Portland also has a lot of really kind people on transit. Or at least whenever I'm on the red and blue line. Helping you load luggage, getting up when older passengers or pregnant passengers need seats. I can't speak for the bus networks because I've never been on a trimet bus.

Dealing with the general public as I do, I have noticed a growing number of them tend to have a chip on the shoulder attitude. I don't know if this is a result of the current political climate or if some were just not raised right. It makes me appreciate the pleasant ones more and to look forward to retirement at the end of next year.

Dealing with the general public as I do, I have noticed a growing number of them tend to have a chip on the shoulder attitude. I don't know if this is a result of the current political climate or if some were just not raised right. It makes me appreciate the pleasant ones more and to look forward to retirement at the end of next year.
Its not the political climate. I've noticed a general decline in civility in the big cities over the last 10+ years. There are more days than not I say to myself ***??? When I went on my road trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado, it was a complete 180.

Its not the political climate. I've noticed a general decline in civility in the big cities over the last 10+ years. One thing that I notice is a general attitude of not caring that ones action is a inconvenience to others around them. There are more days than not I say to myself ***??? When I went on my road trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado, it was a complete 180.

Its not the political climate. I've noticed a general decline in civility in the big cities over the last 10+ years. One thing that I notice is a general attitude of not caring that ones action is a inconvenience to others around them. There are more days than not I say to myself ***??? When I went on my road trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado, it was a complete 180.
In the mountains of Georgia & North Carolina, you will notice that the people are very friendly and will greet everyone, even strangers. You notice the difference in stores and on the street,

I think it is a small town thing. A nice change from the big cities and south Florida!

On an RTA train in Cleveland yesterday, there was a guy standing in the front of the car, yelling at and berating a full car of at least 60 passengers. The reason he was angry was that we weren't being friendly enough and weren't conversing enough with our fellow passengers. I don't think he saw the irony at all!

In the mountains of Georgia & North Carolina, you will notice that the people are very friendly and will greet everyone, even strangers. You notice the difference in stores and on the street,

I think it is a small town thing. A nice change from the big cities and south Florida!
It does take me a day or two to adjust when I leave California and the west coast to the civility and politeness that seems to permeate the south and the center of our country.

Out here, if some stranger starts up a conversation, ones first reaction is that one is going to be robbed or swindled, unfortunately for many of us.

Point of this thread is that it wouldn't take much to post some signage with sporadic enforcement reminding people to:

1) let people off the train before boarding

2) don't listen to music out loud on board

3) don't smoke on the platform

etc...

The current basic placarding is very well ignored.

It does take me a day or two to adjust when I leave California and the west coast to the civility and politeness that seems to permeate the south and the center of our country.

Out here, if some stranger starts up a conversation, ones first reaction is that one is going to be robbed or swindled, unfortunately for many of us.
That's because you will get swindled or robbed out there - if not by the other person then by the politicians.

Back