TEXRail Opens

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant
A new commuter rail line from Ft. Worth northeast to DFW Airport is expected to begin service in late 2018.

www.texrail.com/

It will use a former Cotton Belt line. DART already has a light-rail line into DFW Airport and the TRE serves a station just south of the airport.

*blinks at the timetable*
There's round-the-clock service on one end of the line?  Wow...

I don't know about the line ownership situation but I suspect that if the service is as popular as the official estimates project, you will see a frequency bump at peak hours.  The initial equipment order was for eight sets.  The current timetable requires three sets for service, and I figure you need to presume one will be out-of-service at any given moment (maintenance cycles, etc.), but that still gives four additional sets (which may or may nor have all been delivered).  I suspect they can double peak-hour frequency, and there is room in their order to acquire more equipment if needed (the order was for 8 sets and 24 options).

Anderson said:
*blinks at the timetable*There's round-the-clock service on one end of the line?  Wow...

I don't know about the line ownership situation but I suspect that if the service is as popular as the official estimates project, you will see a frequency bump at peak hours.  The initial equipment order was for eight sets.  The current timetable requires three sets for service, and I figure you need to presume one will be out-of-service at any given moment (maintenance cycles, etc.), but that still gives four additional sets (which may or may nor have all been delivered).  I suspect they can double peak-hour frequency, and there is room in their order to acquire more equipment if needed (the order was for 8 sets and 24 options).
From what I've heard the plan is to bump up frequencies, but not all the infrastructure will be ready (extra passing sidings, etc) at the start for those extra frequencies.

I forgot to think about the fact that most of the line is single track with sidings, so that might limit the schedule for the foreseeable future. I'm glad it's starting out with a bang though. When the A-Train opened it was pretty much relegated to rush hour only service when it began. If you didn't check the schedules carefully, you'd be waiting at the Green Line a few hours to make the transfer. TRE has really upped its frequency as well. When the #22, the Texas Eagle arrived on time into FTW, you'd have to wait 2 hours or so for the next eastbound train toward Dallas. Now you only have to wait 27 minutes or up to a maximum of an hour if #22 is running behind. Now the west side of the Metroplex will be much better connected. Just sure wish Fort Worth hadn't turned down the streetcar plan several years ago.

Map-2016-7.png
Here's a picture of the TexRail route to Terminal B.

https://ridetrinitymetro.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Map-2016-7.png

From FAQs:

There are two main reasons why TEXRail will use diesel technology. The cost (both construction, and ongoing operational costs) of an electrified rail system is much higher than a diesel rail system, and the existing railroad tracks on which TEXRail will share with freight railroads do not have electrification.

The speed of train travel will depend on the type of terrain, the number of crossings, the current train location on the line and other related factors. Speeds likely would range from 0 to 70 mph.

Trinity Metro is working with existing railroads to share existing tracks, which would mean most of the route would operate on a single track. Selected locations will have a second track added for passing ability, and to meet schedules for both passenger and freight traffic. Double tracks also will be placed at stations.

The train frequency projected is for the year 2035. Projections for population, employment growth and other factors would be needed to project any increase in train frequency beyond 2035.

During peak hours, (the three hours associated with morning rush hours, and the three hours in the evening associated with evening rush hours), trains will run about every 30 minutes. Outside of peak hours, trains would run about every 60 minutes. This frequency is expected to occur in the year 2035, with less frequency possible at startup. Train service and frequency would be consistent along the entire length of the route.

TEXRail DFW International Airport Station will be connected to DART Orange Line DFW International Airport Station via a short walk. (Time of this short walk is not stated.)

The railroads that own the current train bridge crossings over the Trinity River have indicated those bridges are or will soon be at capacity, and there would be no opportunities for the proposed passenger trains to get across using the existing bridges. The railroads also have indicated concerns about liability issues related to allowing a passenger train to use their bridge crossings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the cross walkway connecting the two stations will be at the away from the airport end of the station. Vestiges of it appear to be in place in this Google Map image adjacent to Crossover #2. Presumably the TEX Rail Station is built between S Service Rd and the Toll Road south of Crossover #2.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dallas%2FFort+Worth+International+Airport/@32.9074539,-97.0408607,219m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864c2a660d222aa7:0x73323f5e067d201c!8m2!3d32.8998091!4d-97.0403352

I am just guessing based on an out of date photo. Anyone who has been there have any upto date info?

I was there yesterday, and yes, the walkway is at the north end of the stations just south of crossunder #2. It is outdoors but under a canopy - a covered sidewalk.

20181113_185136729_iOS.jpg

Seems kind of odd to me to put a train station in the middle of two highways.  
The way the airport layout is, that's the only place to put it. Thats right next to the terminal though. It'd be cool if they could add a stop for the Skylink right there, so you can take an elevator up, go through TSA and hop on the Skylink to another terminal. That's my expensive idea at least.

Looks like TexRail will officially open on January 5th. They've already posted timetables. It'll run once per hour every day with no difference between weekday or weekend, nor even extra trains during rush hour. 51 to 52 minutes between the end stations, DFW Airport to Fort Worth.

https://ridetrinitymetro.org/texrail/schedules/
And running virtually all night too...

Does this line still have any freight. Google earth shows various spurs coming off it (and plenty of parked freight cars)  but of course that doesn't prove they are actually in use.

I wonder how (and if) freight operations can be accomodated besides such an ambitious passenger schedule. 

A nice new train station being built in Grapevine for this rail.

http://architexas.com/project/grapevine-main/

Sure doesn't look like the rest of "train-hating" Texas. If only San Antonio or Austin could have done something like this years ago! And don't even mention the poor excuse that acts like a Amtrak train station in Houston (metro population of 6.3 million).
I wonder, will the Grapevine Vintage railroad be affected?

Yes, sir, I know it was. The canopies shown in your Google maps link show the current DART station, which I have used. Posts 7 & 8 specifically don't address "real" access to the terminals, or for that matter DART from the new construction. I was at that airport less than 6 months ago, and couldn't see any construction at that time related to TexRail.  

PRRs photos show a similar canopy construction to DART's. 

My only complaint about the existing rail connection with DART is that if you have any sort of disability, it's a bit of a walk to get to the Sky Link from the station. Ground shuttle may be a better way to get to the terminal of your choice.

What I have not determined from posts 7 & 8, or any other post in this thread, is the method, mechanism or route that connects people from the new TexRail station to the airplanes.

What I have not determined from posts 7 & 8, or any other post in this thread, is the method, mechanism or route that connects people from the new TexRail station to the airplanes.
That hasn't been detailed anywhere that I've seen. I am going to assume, until I hear differently, that the terminus for the TexRail stop at Terminal B, will offer the same connections to the airport that, that Terminal A offers, Skylink, and Terminal Link.

That hasn't been detailed anywhere that I've seen. I am going to assume, until I hear differently, that the terminus for the TexRail stop at Terminal B, will offer the same connections to the airport that, that Terminal A offers, Skylink, and Terminal Link.
Yup. That’s the way it is. Been there and seen that under development.

Back