Likelihood of CZ diversions October 2018?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
We're scheduled to take the CZ from DEN to EMY on October 6th. Does anyone know the likelihood of a rerouting (presumably for track work) at this time?

If it's not known yet, when is a plausible estimate of when any reroutings for this fall will be announced, and what's the best site to use to monitor this?

Thanks!

The CZ doesn't get rerouted every fall.

The CZ was rerouted last year because UP was working in the Moffat Tunnel.

I'm one of those that hopes for a chance to ride the CZ on the detour between Laramie and Ogden.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rerouting is unpredictable. Most rerouting for CZ track work in Colorado has been in the late summer early fall but I guess could be anytime. UP usually gives Amtrak only weeks advance notice. I was not aware of the Mofffat tunnel work last October.

Dang, would I love to ride the CZ while that was rerouted into Wyoming! Does this only occur once a year, or once every few years on average?

Dang, would I love to ride the CZ while that was rerouted into Wyoming! Does this only occur once a year, or once every few years on average?
Cant' say just how often...sometimes it could be for scheduled maintenance, and is planned for, and posted as such in Amtrak's website...in which case you may get sufficient time to plan to ride it. Other times it could be just a rockslide, or derailment, that might only impact one day or two of operation, with no advance notice...

Back