July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakLKL

Lead Service Attendant
Some adjustments are coming to the Lake Shore and Capital menus. Starting July 11, the beef tenderloin salad will be replaced with a hot short rib, polenta and vegetable entree. It will be served with a side salad and the same salted caramel dessert.

The breakfast box is being slimmed down with mango and grapes replacing the fresh fruit mix along with the Kind bar and banana nut bread being removed.

Moderator edit: This topic will now be the home for discussion of Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited dining. The prior topic can be found at:

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Last edited by a moderator:
Some adjustments are coming to the Lake Shore and Capital menus. Starting July 11, the beef tenderloin salad will be replaced with a hot short rib, polenta and vegetable entree. It will be served with a side salad and the same salted caramel dessert.

The breakfast box is being slimmed down with mango and grapes replacing the fresh fruit mix along with the Kind bar and banana nut bread being removed.
An "adjustment" is about all that is. I'd rather have the beet tenderloin. The breakfast? Leave the fruit alone and c'mon, add a boiled egg!

An "adjustment" is about all that is. I'd rather have the beet tenderloin. The breakfast? Leave the fruit alone and c'mon, add a boiled egg!
I'm focusing more on the fact that they're adding a hot option than on the actual change. If it seems like Amtrak is willing to offer a couple hot entrees, I feel a little bit better about what we eventually might see.

The hot entree sounds alright, and may be what stops me from writing these trains off for future travel. If/when the menu is expanded nationally, I would like to see a little variety in the menu from train to train, but I will not hold my breath.

I am not a big breakfast eater to begin with, but it is still bothersome on the eastbound CL which arrives in DC after lunchtime, without serving lunch. Breakfast sandwich from the cafe it is. At least my drink is still free.

It strikes me as odd that 41 days into the new system, they're revising it, but it seems like the only change will be different fruit at breakfast and a hot option replacing the salad. Unless there's more stuff that AmtrakLKL didn't mention, I just don't see the point of making such a minor change.

It strikes me as odd that 41 days into the new system, they're revising it, but it seems like the only change will be different fruit at breakfast and a hot option replacing the salad. Unless there's more stuff that AmtrakLKL didn't mention, I just don't see the point of making such a minor change.
It’s called “testing the waters”. First they tested with the cold box meals. We saw what the results of that was. Now they’re slowly adding/changing it to continue testing the water. They’re trying to save money but keep the customers happy (despite all the posts here & elsewhere saying they don’t care about the customers).

I'm happy to see changes, however minor, happening so quickly in response to passenger and crew feedback.

I know I am cynical about this topic, but I think their purpose is more cost cutting, presented (marketed) as trying to keep customers happy. (They don't have to pay for the Kind bars, which are good but perhaps expensive, or the banana bread thing, which just repeats carbs already available in the muffin. I bet they get a terrific deal on the dessert, which sounds awful, even to me with my sweet tooth.)

I know I am cynical about this topic, but I think their purpose is more cost cutting, presented (marketed) as trying to keep customers happy. (They don't have to pay for the Kind bars, which are good but perhaps expensive, or the banana bread thing, which just repeats carbs already available in the muffin. I bet they get a terrific deal on the dessert, which sounds awful, even to me with my sweet tooth.)
Oh, somehow I missed the removal of the Kind bar and banana bread. I will say that it seems like most people like the cheesecake, but I can imagine it's not for everyone. It could be cost cutting, but I feel like this early on in the new system, it wouldn't make much sense to cut back on the menu even further, given the apparent pushback. I guess we'll see soon.

Since they had said from the get go that they will make adjustments based on feedback, now that they are doing so should be no surprise IMHO.

Both the proposed changes appear to be consisted with even the issues discussed on AU by its learned members.

The beef tenderloin salad was the entrée I was most looking forward to. A hot short rib just doesn't excite me, I don't know what polenta would do to my blood sugar and the veggies I've had before from the diner were never anything to write home about. Disappointing...

Breakfast sounds okay, I understand why someone would prefer eggs though.

If they offered a hot veggie burger, which I imagine they could do if they can handle a hot short rib, then I'd be fine. Annoyingly, I haven't been able to find anything about the vegan wrap or any of the stuff that it comes with. From what the menu says, I do not find it appealing, and until I hear otherwise...

Just don't ride these lines and warn people who are contemplating it ! Zero protein breakfast awful. We already booked air instead of Amtrak for a fall trip solely because of these downgrades.

Just don't ride these lines and warn people who are contemplating it ! Zero protein breakfast awful. We already booked air instead of Amtrak for a fall trip solely because of these downgrades.
What class of what airline?

PVD--where is the protein? I can see the yogurt might have some, but, except for the Kind bar they are getting rid of, I can't see where more protein would be.

I didn't know they included nutrition/ingredient cards. That's an improvement for me for sure.

Thanks, PVD!
default_smile.png
I had no idea a blueberry muffin had all that protein!

In their infinite wisdom they were placed at the bottom of the box where most people probably don't notice them. When I travel, I go for an omelet/french toast/side of bacon, biscuit and small fruit plate type breakfast. It is different from what I usually do at home. So, this is far from an ideal menu for me. But If I expect any comments or observations I make to be taken seriously, I have to strip out the emotion, and stick to the facts.So far, I believe I've done that in any posts on this subject.

Nor did I. Since I don't like blueberries, I traded it with someone else. I would think a plainer muffin (cake,corn, or bran) with a choice of a little fruit spread/jam packet, peanut butter, or butter might be better. I thought the banana bread was pretty good. But as I said before, in order to get the protein from the muffin, you were going overboard on carbs.

Nor did I. Since I don't like blueberries, I traded it with someone else.
A bad blueberry muffin is a very sad thing. A good blueberry muffin is of the heavens. As I've said countless times before, I don't like blueberries on their own, but in a muffin, they can be out of this world. You didn't eat it, but did the muffins look fresh and/or good?

Back