jis

Dedicated Passenger Track in the Windsor - Quebec Corridor

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/governance-and-reports/dedicated-tracks

The proposed dedicated track, using a new, more efficient train car fleet, is expected to:

• Relieve congestion, particularly in and out of major urban centres
  • Boost economic development and benefits along the railway corridor
  • Deliver a safer rail infrastructure and a more sustainable rail transportation system
  • Maximize ridership and revenue potential of passenger routes where market demand warrants
  • Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollutants that contribute to climate change and smog
  • Create a self-funding project that will significantly reduce government subsidies within the Corridor

The dedicated tracks project would also allow the re-design of the current frequencies operating on the shared environment to better meet regional needs for increased service.

Finally! Glad to see VIA might actually be taking interest in OTP and reduced emissions.

Read their RFP outline, and this stood out to me... " More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available."

Sound like any equipment you know? ;)

Read their RFP outline, and this stood out to me... " More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available."

P32AC-DMs? ALP45-DPs? I'm blanking.

P32AC-DMs? ALP45-DPs? I'm blanking.

Neither of those two are Tier-4 AFAIK. Indeed NJT bent the rules to the limit to get under the bar for Tier-3 for the ALP45-DPs. There is an effort afoot to upgrade the 45's to Tier 4 since NJT wants to order some additional number of units, and they cannot sneak by on Tier-3 anymore.

I don;t think P32s even meet Tier-3.

Railner may be alluding to a development based on the SC-44/ACS-64

So does a dual mode Charger seem likely anytime soon?

So does a dual mode Charger seem likely anytime soon?

NYSDOT has allegedly working with Siemens for such a beast to replace all the P32AC-DMs (Amtrak and MNRR) and the LIRR DE/DMs. But for obvious reasons this particular project is focused on third rail electrification only.

OHE is a different matter since it drags in a large heavy transformer and one or two heavy pantographs with it. Beyond that the rest is pretty much the same.