Extra cars during the holiday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twropr

Train Attendant
The AAA is predicting record travel over the July 4 th holiday. Is Amtrak running any extra coaches on trains other than the SILVER METEOR?

Andy

The AAA is predicting record travel over the July 4 th holiday. Is Amtrak running any extra coaches on trains other than the SILVER METEOR?

Andy
The Lake Shore sometimes runs extra cars during the holidays. I'm not sure about July 4 in particular, though.

The Coast Starlight runs with 3 sleepers, a business class car (I'd rather call it Economy Plus), and 3 regular Coach Cars during peak season (I've seen a 4th coach and 4th sleeper on Thanksgiving period). The 14 (1) is a sold-out train for the most part. Some 70 passengers boarded it last night at SAC (Even the Business Class was full). As of last night, a quick inquiry of availability shows that 11 (3) and 14 (4) was not sold out yet (I will not be surprised if it sells out), with coaches not yet at the highest bucket, but sleepers were sold out already.

As I posted on another thread, looking at the Flagstaff rail cams,

SWC has been running with three sleepers and sometimes five coaches. Sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AAA is predicting record travel over the July 4 th holiday.
They are? I would be interested in seeing the actually results afterward.

With the holiday stuck in the middle of the week on a Wednesday, it becomes a one-day-and-back trip for most working people. No "long weekend", as it has been in some past years. I would think that this would curb (cut back) on some people's travel.

I also like the Ashland cam for views of the Silver trains and Autotrain. (two engines 43 cars this morning) ( Odd, the trains do not blow when going through Ashland too).

Ashland is by far my favorite one. A lot of funny stuff happens there at the crossing, and it's one of the only stations that gets Viewliners and Superliners.

5 Coaches on 30 June 2018.

Train 98.

Sliver Meteor.

3 Sleepers.

Sold Out at some point in the Journey.

Has anyone ever done an actual study of how many people are turned away from long distance travel? I find it pretty strange that we keep hearing no one rides long distance and yet when you go to apply for a trip often it will say sold out far in advance.

5 Coaches on 30 June 2018.

Train 98.

Sliver Meteor.

3 Sleepers.

Sold Out at some point in the Journey.

Has anyone ever done an actual study of how many people are turned away from long distance travel? I find it pretty strange that we keep hearing no one rides long distance and yet when you go to apply for a trip often it will say sold out far in advance.
Honestly, that doesn't tell you much. Selling out one train a day each way is incredibly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. There are more than 300 million people in the United States. It's not hard to fill up an LD, even if overall, they don't get a ton of ridership. It's when you increase frequency and capacity significantly that a lack of demand would show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the northbound Silver Star as it passed through Orlando. It had its normal 2 sleepers.

The AAA is predicting record travel over the July 4 th holiday.
They are? I would be interested in seeing the actually results afterward.

With the holiday stuck in the middle of the week on a Wednesday, it becomes a one-day-and-back trip for most working people. No "long weekend", as it has been in some past years. I would think that this would curb (cut back) on some people's travel.
The long weekend for July 4th (when it falls on a Friday or Monday) will return in 2022.

Some 70 passengers boarded it last night at SAC (Even the Business Class was full).
I hope #14 Business Class won't fill at SAC in early October (low season).

I'm boarding the #14 in Davis, but am planning to book Biz class with the expectation of not having a seat mate overnight.
The BC should not fill up unless it is over the peak season (near holidays). Even during high season (summer months), it might get crowded but not quite fill up. During a low season the BC on the CS averages about 15 passengers. During a high season, expect passenger counts to average at about 40.

Some 70 passengers boarded it last night at SAC (Even the Business Class was full).
I hope #14 Business Class won't fill at SAC in early October (low season).I'm boarding the #14 in Davis, but am planning to book Biz class with the expectation of not having a seat mate overnight.
The BC should not fill up unless it is over the peak season (near holidays). Even during high season (summer months), it might get crowded but not quite fill up. During a low season the BC on the CS averages about 15 passengers. During a high season, expect passenger counts to average at about 40.
How are you estimating your numbers?

Back