Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
Yesterday evening, I caught Amtrak #5(28) at Agency, Iowa with the private cars Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium, both from the original California Zephyr, riding on the end. There was a friendly engineer as well.

Yesterday evening, I caught Amtrak #5(28) at Agency, Iowa with the private cars Silver Rapids and Silver Solarium, both from the original California Zephyr, riding on the end. There was a friendly engineer as well.

Thanks for capturing and posting. Silver Rapids, originally a Budd built, Pullman 10-6 sleeper, was the only California Zephyr liveried cars, not owned by one of the three CZ operating railroads, (CB&Q, D&RGW, and WP), but rather, by the PRR, as its contribution to the coast-to-coast thru sleeper pool.

And it was brilliantly named, as all CZ cars had a "Silver" prefix, and most PRR 10-6 sleepers had a "Rapids" suffix...
default_cool.png

These two came through Agency yesterday heading east on #6(02). The Zephyr was routed through here on the left track to pass a BNSF coal train.

Great video, thanks for posting it!

That's an experience that I doubt those riding in a similar "Park" dome obs on the Canadian will enjoy--passing a freight train...
default_sad.png

If you want a sister car to the Silver Solarium you can buy it for 25k. Here is the list of lacks.

-hvac

-heat

-glass

-wiring

-everything. But the shell is priced decent.

Or if you want to buy the solarium, Rapids, peak, and Larriat you can for 1.3 mil. You must buy all four cars

Back