NOL-CHI-NOL; June 26-28, 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I just completed a round trip on the CONO. Managed to get a three day weekend and decided I needed a mini “traincation”.

On 58 northbound I was in coach (sleepers were full) and it was very busy out of NOL. Ended up with a seat mate the entire way. Spent a lot of time in the SL. Departed on time at 1:45p and arrived about an hour late at 10:15am. Just ate food I brought with me, though I grabbed a drink in the lounge along the way.

Spent a fun day in Chicago riding water taxis, METRA trains, visiting the Boeing store, and eating pizza.

Had a Roomette going home, so I got back to the Metropolitan Lounge around 6:00pm and relaxed for an hour or so before boarding shortly after 7.

Dinner served in the station. Had a warm muffuletta sandwich, and it was pretty tasty, the portion was just right since I was still full from the pizza earlier. Again, a very full train the entire way. I had room #2 and everything was clean and in working order. Departed on time at 8:05pm, and arrived at 5:30pm. Due to track work the train doesn’t depart Jackson until 1:20pm on weekdays through July. Breakfast and lunch were ok. Nothing special, but good enough. SA was awesome. Kevin was his name. A real asset to Amtrak.

Overall, a nice trip.

IMG_3898.jpgIMG_3910.jpgIMG_3915.jpgIMG_3956.jpgIMG_3963.jpgIMG_3965.jpgIMG_3968.jpgIMG_3971.jpgIMG_3972.jpgIMG_3977.jpgIMG_3986.jpg

Nice ! Very interesting and great pictures. Thank you for sharing!!!
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Nice getaway and pics! It's a shame that the Chef is gone, and the heat and eat meals are just a shadow on those served on the descendant of the Panama Limited that ran between two Great American Cities!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to the SA and he said they haven’t heard anything about the cold meal boxes coming to the CONO. The overall dining car service is a shell of its former self - IMO about on par with the Cardinal - but the employee working the diner was friendly and he really hustled.

They are trying, they just don’t have much to work with.

Back