Elimination of diners on western Amtrak long distance trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone hear of this (from other sources)?

Amtrak OBS employees have received new menus for November 2018. The elimination of chefs is said to be coming in fall 2018 for some western long distance trains including the Southwest Chief. The new Southwest Chief sleeping car passenger meal menus for November 2018 have cold sandwiches, akin to the June 2018 Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited no-chef cold food menus.

https://www.scivision.co/amtrak-southwest-chief-drastic-service-cuts/

I don't know anything about the source...stumbled across it while searching for things related to the SWC. Not surprised, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting scarey, Propeller Head and his Airline Crew are running wild with their "New and Improved" schemes on Am Air!

Imagine, Box meals on the 2 and 3 night LD Western Trains and Bustitutions on the Chief Route!!!

Say it ain't so Joe!

Oh my god. This has been confirmed? I'm glad I took my first coast to coast train trip this year - it might well have been my last.
default_sad.png

Propeller Head and his Airline Crew are running wild with their "New and Improved" schemes on Am Air!
Am Air? That name does not stand out. I'm suggesting that Amway Air sounds like a better name. Oh wait, we used to have an Am Air, known as Pan American. Of course, Juan Trippe was way better than Anderson of Delta. Looks like the Kochs hired Anderson.

Woooow. This is the end of Amtrak as we know it, if this happens. I hope this plan gets stopped somehow.

I hope this is just an unfounded rumor.

Disgust. I’m setting off on a 3+ week road trip to Montana and over the border into Montana. Amtrak not involved, except for perhaps viewing the Empire Builder around Glacier. Phooey. My own itinerary and schedule. [emoji849]

In the linked article, there was the mention of "reduced conductor staffing on LD trains". How could this be possible? Each train, LD or not, needs a Conductor. Doesn't it? My view is that this linked article contains "fake news".

Wonder if this would be why Amtrak is running its first ever sleeper sale that I can remember? They know the fallout that would happen and want to lock in as many reservations as possible before the announcement.

In the linked article, there was the mention of "reduced conductor staffing on LD trains". How could this be possible? Each train, LD or not, needs a Conductor. Doesn't it? My view is that this linked article contains "fake news".
Yep, gotta have a conductor! I'm thinking he used the wrong term...perhaps he meant service staff when he said "conductor".

I'm not up on the Current requirements for Conductors on LD Trains, nor the agreement their Union has with AmwayAir( like that name,thanks bmjhagen9426), but if they can swing it, the Anderson Air Raiders will probably try to get by with 1 Conductor and 0 ACs on some LD Trains.

What's next, Self driving trains so they can eliminate the pricey Engineers??

I hate to panic over rumors, but that would really stink. Me and hubby are supposed to take the SW Chief in February CHI>LAX. A bus bridge and elimination of traditional dining service really makes the cost of the tickets we bought much less desirable. RPA/NARP, I hope you can rescue us!

Mr. Hirsch states: "The new Southwest Chief sleeping car passenger meal menus for November 2018 have cold sandwiches, akin to the June 2018 Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited no-chef cold food menus." November 2018...just in time for holiday travel.

We shall see when the so-called November 2018. menus are put in place.

Hoping this would mean my CHI>LAX trip on #3 in October is safe!

How does he know about new menus for November?

Amtrak is under congressional mandate to eliminate food and beverage losses. Did you think the western trains would be exempt? Contact your congressmen and senators and raise holy hell.
Yes, I know that and no, I didn't think western LD trains would be exempt, and yes,I have written to my representatives and will again this week.

Wonder if this would be why Amtrak is running its first ever sleeper sale that I can remember? They know the fallout that would happen and want to lock in as many reservations as possible before the announcement.
I guess that's possible, but if so, that would be a pretty scummy move on Amtrak's part. It was also mentioned in another thread that there was some indication that Amtrak was trying to replace their discounted fares for certain kinds of passengers (AAA discount, Student discount, etc.) with targeted discounts and sales.

Back