Ryan

Over Height Train Strikes Bridge

We see a lot of vehicles striking train bridges, but I can’t recall seeing a train strike a vehicle bridge. CSX managed to try and fit double stacks under some bridges that were woefully unsuitable.

http://www.times-news.com/news/local_news/the-latest-details-are-few-regarding-bridges-hit-by-csx/article_27668638-7630-11e8-adbc-2b12c4d9f336.html

post-1912-15297732156432.jpg

Edited by Ryan

Can't follow the link, but a pretty self explanatory picture!

"451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time "

Ed.

Wow, that’s pretty lame. Small town paper.

On the UP line heading west out of Chicago, there is a bridge that has one track that has been lowered underneath it to accommodate double stacks and auto racks. The other tracks won't clear these cars. Every once in a while a dispatcher mistakenly routes a freight trains with high clearance cars on the wrong track with similar results.

CSX "How Tomorrow Moves" because it sure isn't moving today.

Actually what happened was a switch move on the mountain sub. It did answer a question I had though. And that was would the mountain sub clear a dome car. Resounding no on that one. Oh well we don't need it.

Wow, that’s pretty lame. Small town paper.

Lots of quite large papers are doing the same, including (last I checked) the LA Times and many others.