Points or dollars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
Advice please. I have 32,000 points

I used 29,000 on a LAX to Chicago roomette for two on the Chief this coming October, but then the fare sale popped up and I can do it for $670 cash, which seems goood. Should I do the cash deal?

If you can easily afford it, yes!
default_smile.png

That way, you will earn additional AGR points to use in the future. Also, the redemption rate is based on the non-discounted fare, not the (lower) sale fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point about the point penalty. That 20% penalty may affect the decision of yes or no.
Thanks everyone. I inquired because the point fare did not have the discount incorporated so I was in effect paying more with points than money.For some reason they waived the point penalty.

This seemed like a good fare, so even though in a way I want to use my points before Amtrak goes even worse, when that sale came up I got tempted! 670 for two on the Chief seemed worth paying the cash for. One of the few I haven’t ridden either.

BTW, the NARP discount doesn’t apply to the 2 for 1.

There may be a penalty to cancel your points reservation (if you have one already), so keep that in mind if you're thinking about any potential savings.
If you "modify" your reservation, you might not suffer the penalty.

However, when I "modified" without a penalty, it was only for dates, not the route.

Hopefully Amtrak will have double days back in October so it is definately worth paying for it.

Back