Track Work Affects Lake Shore Limited Trains 448 and 449

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
This popped up earlier this week:

Effective June 16 - August 5, 2018

Track work being performed by Keolis/Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority will affect Trains 448 and 449 between Albany and Boston, as follows:
Train 448 Albany - Boston Service: June 15 - 16, July 27 - 28, August 3-4

Customers who are traveling to Pittsfield, Springfield, Worcester and Boston (South Station) will get off the train at Albany on the dates above. At Albany, bus service will be provided to and from all stations listed above. No alternate transportation will be provided for missed stop of Framingham. Passengers traveling to Back Bay will be bussed to Boston and then may take an MBTA or Amtrak commuter train between Boston and Back Bay.
Train 449 Boston - Albany Service: June 16 - 17, July 28 - 29, August 4 - 5Train 449 will not operate between Boston (South Station) and Albany on the dates above. Passengers boarding at Boston (South Station), Worcester, Springfield and Pittsfield will be provided bus service to Albany. No alternate transportation will be provided for missed stops at Back Bay and Framingham. Passengers traveling from Back Bay will have the option of boarding at Boston or traveling on alternate dates.
Boston (South Station) and Worcester

Passengers at Boston South Station should go to the Amtrak Information Desk for instructions on boarding the buses.
Passengers at Worcester will board the bus at the main entrance in front of the station. Boarding will not occur at the Bus Terminal.

So where will the cars be serviced, since it will not go to either NYC or Boston? And how will they get the meals aboard, since ALB has no commissary?
default_huh.png

When you need to make repairs, you do what you gotta do I suppose. If it is any consolation the US is not unique when it comes to this. Every country with huge passenger systems do shut down significant facilities for a short period now and then to make critical repairs and upgrades.

I remember when they cut over from Route Relay Interlocking to Computerized Interlocking (CTC) in India's busiest terminal station Howrah, they shut the entire station and yard down for a weekend. Huge number of trains canceled, many high priority LD trains diverted to other terminal stations around the city over the weekend. Everything back to normal under the new interlocking system on Monday.

I have read about similar things happening at some of the major London Terminals too. And from what I understand Blackpool has been without service for a while to complete the electrification to it.

So where will the cars be serviced, since it will not go to either NYC or Boston? And how will they get the meals aboard, since ALB has no commissary?
default_huh.png
Did I hear somewhere that they have temporarily opened the Commissary in Albany to facilitate food service on West of Albany Empire Corridor trains?

Last edited by a moderator:
Albany will do most of it, AM1 are subbing for the AM2 on the mixed consist trains, not sure of what is being done with the AM2 on the LSL. I believe Albany commissary has temporarily reopened but not 100% sure.

Albany will do most of it, AM1 are subbing for the AM2 on the mixed consist trains, not sure of what is being done with the AM2 on the LSL. I believe Albany commissary has temporarily reopened but not 100% sure.
ALB's commissary lives again. As for servicing the equipment, ALB can service the train as well, including the AM2s. They can not perform certain long term inspections on the AM2s, but this outage is only for a few weekends. If something major occurred, they could wait for the outage to clear and ship via BOS. It is more likely they'd ship it to CHI and relay it to WAS.

Back