New cafe menu on the NEC/Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As expected, the prices have jumped. No surprise there.

What surprises me, though, is the increased number of items on the menu. Either the cafe attendant will be overwhelmed trying to find <whatever> that's buried under numerous other items, or they'll simply stick a 'sold out' sign over some of the items. Alternatively, a full booth or even two will be filled with boxes of more items. Perhaps there will only be 5-8 of each item stocked, not cases of 24, etc.

As expected, the prices have jumped. No surprise there.

What surprises me, though, is the increased number of items on the menu. Either the cafe attendant will be overwhelmed trying to find <whatever> that's buried under numerous other items, or they'll simply stick a 'sold out' sign over some of the items. Alternatively, a full booth or even two will be filled with boxes of more items. Perhaps there will only be 5-8 of each item stocked, not cases of 24, etc.
Most items go in the dry storage closet across from the bathroom. On the few cars that have a luggage rack, or even a second bathroom in place of the closet, then yes their table and the adjacent overhead rack may be used. This really only applies to Virginia Regionals, since they're the only ones that get enough stock that space really runs out on. Also, after a testing period (to see demand of specific items) Amtrak will adjust the quantities of items each train gets, depending on the ridership of that train, and what the demand is on the specific train. For example, a busy Virginia Regional may get two cases of each type of juice, while quiet (evening) train 179 that runs Boston to NYC may only get two or three of each juice. There's a method to the madness.

And there's no need to be overwhelmed trying to find items. On the Regionals we organize the stock in the manner we see fit, so we know where everything is. It has been 8 months since I've worked a Regional, and I still remember where I had every last item, even down to how I had my condiments organized.

On train 94, and there's a new menu in the cafe car. Of note:
-New sandwich/entree options (listed now under "lunch and dinner")

-The pre-mixed mixed drinks that showed up under the contemporary dining menu for the Cap/LSL showed up here as well
-Most of the snacks are unchanged
-There's a new "meal pack" option that comes out to $13 for an entree, drink, and chips/popcorn/pretzels
-The only juice still on the list is orange juice

-I think some of the prices got bumped by $0.25 or so

I'm thinking they took bits and pieces from the Surfliner/Cascades cafe menu. The menu's design definitely screams Surfliner. Definitely a major improvement from the old drab menu's from the past.

The pictures and layout of the menu definitely exudes "fresh" and "healthy" even though most of the stuff being sold is garbage. Definitely a good job on the revamp.

Are non-Regional cafe cars still going to go by the old menu, or are they (will they be) changing too?
At the Amtrak web site the Long Distance Cafe menu appears to be substantially the old one, so apparently, at least officially it has not changed

Here is the National Cafe Menu: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/national/National-CafeCar-Menu-Amtrak-0617.pdf

And here is the Corridor Cafe Menu (effective 6/13/18 apparently): https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Corridor-Cafe-Menu-061318.pdf

Are non-Regional cafe cars still going to go by the old menu, or are they (will they be) changing too?
At the Amtrak web site the Long Distance Cafe menu appears to be substantially the old one, so apparently, at least officially it has not changed

Here is the National Cafe Menu: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/national/National-CafeCar-Menu-Amtrak-0617.pdf
That one is from June 2017. Says so in the link.

And he said the LD trains still have the old menus.

And he said the LD trains still have the old menus.
He said "substantially the old one" which I took to mean that he thought it had changed, just not by much. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Oh I have no idea what was actually posted last year, and if Amtrak is faithful in maintaining the actual posting date information in the URL. Hence I was hedging my bets, since I don't have a saved copy from last year to verify. I bet you all don't know for sure either.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I have no idea what was actually posted last year, and if Amtrak is faithful in maintaining the actual posting date information in the URL. Hence I was hedging my bets, since I don't have a saved copy from last year to verify. I bet you all don't know for sure either.
default_wink.png
The date is also printed in the lower right-hand side of the menu. For example... "Amtrak national vertical 6/17", meaning it's the national menu from June 2017, and it's a copy of the menu that would be posted vertically at both ends of the counter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it looks like (per amtrak.com) the Meteor finally changed the steak sauce. Looks like a semi-extensive menu overhaul.

Back