Michigan Central Photo Gallery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat strange to be "celebrating" the old station building being taken over by one of the auto firms that killed off rail travel...
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

More good news for historic architecture buffs:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/06/12/ford-train-station-lobby-open-public-detroit-corktown/694614002/

Ford Motor Co. wants to keep the cavernous, once-ornate lobby of Michigan Central Depot open to the public after it revives the vacant historic building, according to sources familiar with the automaker's plans.
Having the lobby open is a great way to share the renovation with the public. And who knows what the future holds? All I know is that if it was torn down it CERTAINLY won’t ever be available for train travel.

It should be noted that the only part the general public were able access when the station was open originally were the waiting room, restaurant, cafe, concourse, ticket lobby, reading room, and the facilities.

The rest of the building was an office complex I want to say mostly for the Michigan Central Railroad, New York Central system, and I believe some other companies. It should be noted that Henry Ford was buying up a lot of property around the station building in the 1920s till the Great Depression put a stop to those plans.

It's fitting however that the original public access areas will remain. Personally I would love to see it return as a train station but it's much too large for the small volume of trains today.

Current projection on the building:

636646129577346290-2018-0614-rb-me-depot007.jpg

(photo courtesy of "The Detroit News")

The Latin translates to "we hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes". The phrase is the official motto of the city of Detroit.

Speaking of rising from the ashes, their two nearby properties have been named The Alchemy and The Factory.

If they don't name this The Phoenix, I will be super disappointed.
default_wink.png

Speaking of rising from the ashes, their two nearby properties have been named The Alchemy and The Factory.

If they don't name this The Phoenix, I will be super disappointed.
default_wink.png
It’s a fitting and powerful symbol for Detroit’s rebirth, but the phoenix represents Atlanta to a near literal degree—the city burned to ashes at the end of the Civil War. (Fun fact: the city seal reads “Resurgens” and two dates are embossed: one for the city’s initial founding and one for the year when the city rebuilt after Sherman’s March.) ATLiens might have a beef with Detroiters if the symbol is taken on for the D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m surprised Chicago doesn’t use the symbol more often, but they do have many other things that pay homage to the Fire, including one of the stars on their flag.

It’s a fitting and powerful symbol for Detroit’s rebirth, but the phoenix represents Atlanta to a near literal degree—the city burned to ashes at the end of the Civil War. (Fun fact: the city seal reads “Resurgens” and two dates are embossed: one for the city’s initial founding and one for the year when the city rebuilt after Sherman’s March.) ATLiens might have a beef with Detroiters if the symbol is taken on for the D.
And there's a third major American city that's even more associated with the phoenix than those two are!

Oh, wow. Just processed that that's actually on the building, rather than a quote added to the photo. Never heard of anything like that before.
default_huh.png

Cpotisch —

Here are some more from Detroit.

The bat signal on the Renaissance Center:

IMG_0784.jpg

Garfield Lofts (on Woodward):

IMG_0785.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And there's a third major American city that's even more associated with the phoenix than those two are!
flag_of_san_francisco-svg.png

The old Michigan Central Bridge crossing the Niagara River is also still there. Amtrak's Maple Leaf uses the Whirlpool Bridge on the left. Amtrak also used the Michigan Central Bridge in the late 1970's.....the Niagara Rainbow to Detroit.

20180619_164217.jpg

Im surprised Chicago doesnt use the symbol more often, but they do have many other things that pay homage to the Fire, including one of the stars on their flag.
It is the official symbol and part of the flag for the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago.

Back