me_little_me

Road Workers uncover historical trolley tracks in Homewood

Very cool. Here in Brooklyn, there's actually a pretty surprising amount of leftover trolley tracks that can be seen poking out of asphalt and cobblestones in some of the less busy parts of town. There are some great examples of this in DUMBO and Red Hook, to such an extent that I've recently spent around 30 hours designing an entire trolley system for Brooklyn:

post-14075-0-03899800-1528761844_thumb.png

NOTE: That's a simplified screenshot of it. There are a lot of details that I have spared you all. :)

Edited by Railroad Bill

Imagine if they all became active again.... :o

If only... :(

I take it that this isn't Homewood Illinois? Chicago has tons of streets with Streetcar tracks left beneath the asphalt.

It's Homewood, Alabama. (The news report is from a Birmingham-based TV station -- Homewood is a suburb of Birmingham.)

I was walking through DUMBO a couple days ago, and the tracks actually extend a lot further than I thought. There are tracks for several blocks, branching off into various streets and alleyways. What a shame.

I was walking through DUMBO a couple days ago, and the tracks actually extend a lot further than I thought. There are tracks for several blocks, branching off into various streets and alleyways. What a shame.

Pre/post Gathering tour, perhaps?

Pre/post Gathering tour, perhaps?

For anyone who wants to make the trek into Brooklyn, perhaps indeed. It is a wonderful area, right next to the water and Brooklyn Bridge, so it's definitely not a bad place to walk through.

There used to be some visible trolley tracks next to Hoboken Terminal at the bus bays. I don;t know if any recent repaving has covered them over or not. maybe we can check during the AU Gathering, since we do plan to be at Hoboken Terminal to catch an NJT Train