East bound Capitol Limited (30/10) running late due to downed tree

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railpost

Service Attendant
Today's eastbound Capital Limited (Train 30) was delayed somewhere east of Connellsville Pennsylania due to a downed tree. The delay was about 2 hours as it left Pittsburgh 59 minutes late and left Connellsville 3 hours and 3 minutes late. Information confirmed by friends who are on that train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on that train. After the downed tree delay, we had another where the conductor did not have enough time to make Washington so we waited for/picked up crew in Rockville I believe. Missed connection and was switched to a later regional back to NY.

Isn't this topic more fitting for "Amtrak Rail Discussion?"
That's a good question. Yesterday morning I was trying to find the most appropriate place for the topic and I probably would have put it there however since this is a trip I decided to file it under a trip report. However you are correct in my opinion and I was considering filing it under Amtrak rail discussion as well.

I was on that train. After the downed tree delay, we had another where the conductor did not have enough time to make Washington so we waited for/picked up crew in Rockville I believe. Missed connection and was switched to a later regional back to NY.
Thanks for the information. I did notice that train was running about 4 hours behind near Rockville. When it reached Washington I was between 3 and a half and 3 hours 45 minutes late.

Is the train in the video in post #8 a freight train, or a passenger train?

I suspect the size and type of tree (soft or hard wood) factors too.

It seems like a very dangerous thing to do. I suspect the engineer would be in big trouble if the tree caused a derailment or damage to the train.

I have been on a train that was delayed because it hit a tree, so if a train continues despite a tree on the tracks, it has the potential to cause damage and an equal or greater delay than if the tree was to be cleared from the tracks before the train moved. However, this is unlikely if the tree is small, while in other cases there might not be sufficient stopping distance. It is really something that needs to be determined on a case by case basis as there are many factors involved.

So a fallen tree delays a "train"............Okkkkkkkkkkk.

FYI, there's a lot more liability involved in passenger service than freight. It may be a normal thing in Canada, but I highly doubt VIA Rail would condone the practice.

Back