The Create project for 75th St corridor funded by federal grant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news. However, I am wondering if they are going to do this project in a couple of phases. The last cost estimate I can recall was somewhere around $750M. I guess I will have to dig around on the CREATE sight and see if it has anymore details.

Good news. However, I am wondering if they are going to do this project in a couple of phases. The last cost estimate I can recall was somewhere around $750M. I guess I will have to dig around on the CREATE sight and see if it has anymore details.
Yes, the entire 75th Street Corridor Project will be completed in phases.

The $132 million they received ($160 million requested) in INFRA grant money will go towards final design and construction of the Forest Hill (CSX) flyover, grade separation at 71st Street, just east of Western Avenue (Bell Ave./2200W), and improvements to Argo Yard and Argo and Canal Junction. Final design (but not construction) of Belt Junction and 80th Street Junction improvements, as well as the flyover for Metra-Southwest Service trains, were also part of the request in the INFRA application.

According to the INFRA application, the anticipated timeline for the corridor improvements (pending funding) is as follows-

-Argo Improvements complete by April, 2020.

-Belt Junction and 80th Street Junction Improvements complete by April, 2023.

-Forest Hill flyover and 71st Street grade separation complete by June, 2023.

-Rock Island Connection (Southwest Service flyover) complete by November, 2023.

EDIT - Grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the entire 75th Street Corridor Project will be completed in phases.
The $132 million they received ($160 million requested) in INFRA grant money will go towards final design and construction of the Forest Hill (CSX) flyover, grade separation at 71st Street, just east of Western Avenue (Bell Ave./2200W), and improvements to Argo Yard and Argo and Canal Junction. Final design (but not construction) of Belt Junction and 80th Street Junction improvements, as well as the flyover for Metra-Southwest Service trains, were also part of the request in the INFRA application.

According to the INFRA application, the anticipated timeline for the corridor improvements (pending funding) is as follows-

-Argo Improvements complete by April, 2020.

-Belt Junction and 80th Street Junction Improvements complete by April, 2023.

-Forest Hill flyover and 71st Street grade separation complete by June, 2023.

-Rock Island Connection (Southwest Service flyover) complete by November, 2023.

EDIT - Grammar
OK, so it sounds like the funded part is basically getting CSX out of the way of the Belt, along with the minor improvements on the west end of the Belt. So the Forest Hill Flyover is fully funded.

They have a total of $474 million from various sources including the federal grant.

It sounds like the Rock Island Connection is not fully funded.

I expect that the rearrangement of Belt & 80th St Junctions will happen with private funding once the Forest Hill Flyover is in; the freight railroads get too much benefit from this to put it off. But the Rock Island Connection probably needs more government money, since it looks to me like there's a $300 million shortfall in the overall project (and most of that will be Rock Island Flyover).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back