Superliner sleepers - is the forward end random?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lancer

Is there any way to know which side of the train a particular Superliner roomette will be on. I've been on the north side of the SWC a couple of times and would like to get a south-facing room if possible. But I suspect that the forward end of the car is a random occurrence and there is no way to predict which side you'll be on.

Is there any way to know which side of the train a particular Superliner roomette will be on. I've been on the north side of the SWC a couple of times and would like to get a south-facing room if possible. But I suspect that the forward end of the car is a random occurrence and there is no way to predict which side you'll be on.
There's pretty much no way. The cars have vestibules at both ends, and are designed to be able to operate in either direction, so it's really just whatever's most convenient for the yard crew.

A train like the CZ has 6 train sets operating and the direction of the cars could be different in each consist. Only the Transition Sleeper is directional with one end having stairs to enter the Baggage Car.

Another that you can be certain of is the FIRST Viewliner sleeper. It is ALWAYS placed so that the H-Room is next to the Dining Car. The 2nd (and if there is 3rd) sleeper again could face either direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's pretty much no way. The cars have vestibules at both ends, and are designed to be able to operate in either direction, so it's really just whatever's most convenient for the yard crew.
While the orientation of the cars is random, except for the transdorms, Superliners do not have vestibules at both ends. The ends of Superliners do not have vestibules at all.

While the orientation of the cars is random, except for the transdorms, Superliners do not have vestibules at both ends. The ends of Superliners do not have vestibules at all.
Methinks he might have meant to say gangways, or whatever those connecting walkways to the next car are called.

Methinks he might have meant to say gangways, or whatever those connecting walkways to the next car are called.
[ahem]

It's called the Bouncy Accordion Hallway, thank you very much.
default_hi.gif

Thanks, that's what I meant.
default_hi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back