Amtrak announces ‘lactation suites’ for nursing mothers in 5 stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
Click on the link for a video.

5 Amtrak train stations are getting nursing rooms thanks to online petitions by moms

636627688600843138-AmtrakSuite-WAS.jpg

Amtrak train station has installed a Mamava lactation pod for breastfeeding mothers at its Washington, D.C., location after two mothers successfully petitioned online for such spaces

The call-to-action came after Kohlmoos was reminded of a memory during National Breastfeeding Month of when she traveled between the two stations and failed to find a comfortable room to pump.

She ended up pumping in a Starbucks bathroom, where she was humiliated after being repeatedly interrupted by knocking customers.Kohlmoos and Matlin's petitions gathered more than 64,000 signatures, and Care2 says its members sent Amtrak over 50,000 emails calling for action.

Now, Amtrak is installing Mamava lactation rooms at the stations in Washington DC., Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago and New York City. The project should be completed by the fall, Kohlmoos told All the Moms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breast feeding mothers definitely need a clean, comfortable, and private location, and NOT a bathroom floor. I know my daughter was forced a couple time to find a corner in the woman's restroom floor. She was disgusted and embarrassed.

Great idea. I've seen lots of nursing rooms and nursing "pods" at airports. It makes sense to have them at train stations.

I agree it's a very nice accommodation. Only problem might be in some big city station's, where some homeless person might "move in"....
It's hard to see in the picture, but the pods have a keypad on the door handle. You can either obtain the keypad code from a nearby service/info desk or use their app to unlock the door. (The app sends a signal over Bluetooth.)

These seem like an inexpensive solution that really doesn't disrupt anyone else. Seems to be a win / win. Wonder if you will see these popup in other public spaces.

I agree it's a very nice accommodation. Only problem might be in some big city station's, where some homeless person might "move in"....
It's hard to see in the picture, but the pods have a keypad on the door handle. You can either obtain the keypad code from a nearby service/info desk or use their app to unlock the door. (The app sends a signal over Bluetooth.)

And hopefully the room is monitored somehow (unobtrusively of course). I could see an issue with someone entering the room and having a health issue. It would be horrible if someone was in there had a problem and was there till the next time someone used it.

If that thing starts rocking and rolling down the concourse, you can be sure there's more than a nursing mother inside!
default_unsure.png
default_ohmy.png
default_tongue.png
What kind of comment is this? You realize the lactation station is a fixed room, don't you. Not some kind of trailer parked in the waiting room.
Obviously someone with no sense of humor!
I think more obviously, it was someone responding to a really weird joke.

If that thing starts rocking and rolling down the concourse, you can be sure there's more than a nursing mother inside!
default_unsure.png
default_ohmy.png
default_tongue.png
What kind of comment is this? You realize the lactation station is a fixed room, don't you. Not some kind of trailer parked in the waiting room.
Obviously someone with no sense of humor!
I think more obviously, it was someone responding to a really weird joke.
I'm not even sure it's an actual joke. I see no setup, no punch, no sarcasm, and no wordplay. Seems more like a half baked proto-pun or Freudian slip to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing is that Amtrak is trying to help traveling mothers with these Mamava units, a clean, relaxing environment, desperately needed at all major stations and airports.
And badly needed for all of us @ most Stations and prisons,er airports!
You need a nursing station? [emoji33]
Nope, I'm referencing "..a clean,relaxing enviroment.." for everyone!
Some of the Stations are dumps and dungeons!( Hello NYP,PGH,SAS etc etc))

Back