Derailment (5/27) on the BNSF Ottumwa Sub. CZ likely to be affected.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eblkheart

Service Attendant
Just saw a report and pic of a BNSF coal train derailment on the BNSF Ottumwa Sub. Uknown location at this time but here's a pic of it. Pic by Bradley Greefe. Edited to add: this looks like west of Ottumwa, looking at Google Maps. The camera is facing east.

Bradley%20Greefe%20photo%20derailment.jpg

derailment_location_52718_2.jpg

Photo Credit(s): Midwest Railroad Photography (thanks!)

derailment_location_52718.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at a pic of the derailment (awaiting permission to publish). Part of the bridge is also damaged extensively. Expect delays and then some.

I'm hearing that the 5 and 3 will be combined and head to KC. Looking at the Cam... a lot of people are getting off so it looks like this maybe the case.

So what happens to 5 in KC ? Do they continue and detour to DEN?
Not sure.... I did hear 5 after Omaha will be taking the UP line tomorrow (5.28.18) and probably for a bit due to bridge damage.
I'm note sure I understand. 5 after Omaha would be well west of the derailment. If the issue is getting back on track after KC, there is a BNSF line between KC and the normal line at Pacific Junction, IA. If the issue is subsequent 5's, then there is the UP line across Iowa, but that would be before Omaha.

Not sure.... I did hear 5 after Omaha will be taking the UP line tomorrow (5.28.18) and probably for a bit due to bridge damage.
I'm note sure I understand. 5 after Omaha would be well west of the derailment. If the issue is getting back on track after KC, there is a BNSF line between KC and the normal line at Pacific Junction, IA. If the issue is subsequent 5's, then there is the UP line across Iowa, but that would be before Omaha.

As I understand it, the train is detouring between GBB-LNK. 3(27) and 5(27) were supposed to combine at GBB and separate at KCY. Perhaps this was the only way to do things on short notice since you have to see if there are crew and traffic issues on any proposed detour route.

Long term plans may yield different results.

As I understand it, the train is detouring between GBB-LNK. 3(27) and 5(27) were supposed to combine at GBB and separate at KCY. Perhaps this was the only way to do things on short notice since you have to see if there are crew and traffic issues on any proposed detour route.

Long term plans may yield different results.
So, apparently, instead of returning to the regular route from P. Jct. up to Omaha, they are taking the freight shortcut directly to Lincoln to save some time...

Some footage of the derailment site at Four Mile Bridge. It's not that accessible of a location.

Last I saw on transitdocs, #5 was on the Omaha Sub, its regular route. Just now, it's west of Ashland doing 70 on the Ottumwa Sub.

He meant to say #6. That's the train taking the UP detour east to Chicago. Should be on the Rochelle cam later for those who are subscribed.

Last I saw on transitdocs, #5 was on the Omaha Sub, its regular route. Just now, it's west of Ashland doing 70 on the Ottumwa Sub.
Ashland is where the freight bypass from P. Jct. joins the line from Omaha...

Are you sure it went thru Omaha? When I checked the status, it showed its time this morning at Lincoln, but did not give a time at Omaha....
default_unsure.png

Why is CZ getting bailed out? I thought the Zephyr was fine, and it was just held up by the derailed freight?
Being on a different route, the engineer is not qualified. So they either need a pilot in the Amtrak engine or a UP engineer in an UP engine.
(Hope I got that right, TR7
default_wink.png
)

It appears that the Ottumwa derailment damage a bridge so CZ may be re-routed for several days. The UP freight is leading the CZ over the detour route over UP rail lines through Rochelle and presumably all the way to Omaha. Amtrak engineers are not authorized to operate on the detour route thus the UP engine with freight engineers authourized for that route.

Why is CZ getting bailed out? I thought the Zephyr was fine, and it was just held up by the derailed freight?
Being on a different route, the engineer is not qualified. So they either need a pilot in the Amtrak engine or a UP engineer in an UP engine.
default_wink.png
)
Plus the detour route is ex-C&NW and has Automatic Train Control, so needs a locomotive with the appropriate pickup shoe and equipment.

default_wink.png
)
Plus the detour route is ex-C&NW and has Automatic Train Control, so needs a locomotive with the appropriate pickup shoe and equipment.
Agree with this...the UP pilot could be aboard the Amtrak engine, otherwise...

Back in the SFZ days, the UP would often put one of their engines ahead of the Amtrak engines between Denver and Ogden, if the Amtrak loco was not compatible with UP cab signals. Even if it was, they might still add one of their engines for "incentive" purposes...to get the train over the 'Hill' faster....

Back