TE 21 (25) extremely delayed between Austin and San Marcos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was checking on the 22 this morning, finding it was still in SAS. Then I saw that 21(25) left AUS at 7:14PM but didn't arrive SMC until 4:00AM this morning. Anyone know what happened? I tried to find a report of a car/truck accident, but found none. Loosing 8 hours in such a short distance couldn't be a freight delay. I noticed the delay caused the SL 1 to be 6 hours late out of SAS.

This is why I don't rely on the TE for afternoon connections in Chicago. Worth the earlier start to only deal with delays in the STL-CHI route.
The TE is generally pretty punctual. If memory serves, more so than the SWC, EB, or CZ. And it arrives at 1:50 PM, which is significantly earlier than any other western train.

Actually, 22 (along with 6) are pretty tardy. 4 is a little better, and 8 is the clear king of the OTP with a median arrival of 5 min early.
Fixed it for you.
default_smile.png

Huh. When I had checked the TE's OTP back in September, when planning for my cross country trip on #422, I would have sworn it was pretty good.
default_wacko.png

While the initial delay was due to engine problems and the need for another engine, it lost around 4 hours meeting freight trains since it was out of slot.

Yep, the combination of another tired P-42 ( only 1 on the Eagle!)and UPs endless Freights chugging up the line through Austin ( Single Track from South of the Downtown Trestle by the Station to the McNeil Crossing on Mopac) lead to multiple delays for the Eagles.

Especially since the TE crew had to turn almost around for the return trip. With the switching of the through cars between the three trains, #1 left 6 hours late and #22 over 3 hours late.

Back