Japanese train departs 25 seconds early - again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No! What will those poor people do! It is crazy that their timekeeping is usually so precise that a 25 second difference makes the headlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no. This is the beginning of a slippery slope. Pretty soon they will be like NJ Transit, which is routinely late except when I am walking to the train at my commuter station and am halfway across the parking lot. At which point, it sometimes comes in 9 minutes early, thumbs its nose at me, and takes off. Not every day, of course--it doesn't want me to be able to plan for it.
default_tongue.png

No! What will those poor people do! It is crazy that their timekeeping is usually so precise that a 25 second difference makes the headlines.
Looks like it was a morning rush hour train in a culture that does not understand "train problem" as a valid excuse for arriving late. Japanese people are just as shocked that we casually accept routine delays from our core infrastructure and just show up whenever the train happens to arrive.

Looks like it was a morning rush hour train in a culture that does not understand "train problem" as a valid excuse for arriving late. Japanese people are just as shocked that we casually accept routine delays from our core infrastructure and just show up whenever the train happens to arrive.
If memory serves, a couple years ago, the Tokyo subway system had a grand total of 45 seconds of delays the entire year. In NYC, you're lucky to have one subway train less than 45 seconds delayed.

This post reminds me of a documentary I just watched about Japanese railway safety. Their safety culture has to be among the highest in the world if not the highest. If I remember right, point, say, do is part of it. It's quite interesting to say the least.

I wonder what a routine train rider in Japan would think if I told them that my Silver Meteor arrived into NYP 20 hours late back in January. Their face would probably melt or something like that.
default_tongue.png

I wonder what a routine train rider in Japan would think if I told them that my Silver Meteor arrived into NYP 20 hours late back in January. Their face would probably melt or something like that.
default_tongue.png
Japanese people are generally pretty careful about showing obvious shock or displeasure, especially in the presence of strangers and guests, but inside they'd probably be wondering which third world war zone you called home.
default_ph34r.png

default_tongue.png
Japanese people are generally pretty careful about showing obvious shock or displeasure, especially in the presence of strangers and guests, but inside they'd probably be wondering which third world war zone you called home.
default_ph34r.png
DA. You just made my night. Thank you for that.

Back