Safety around Amtrak stations (traveling by wheelchair from station)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am disabled and will soon be travelling by wheel chair to hotels near stations in L. A. and Chicago. Is it safe for someone in a wheelchair to do so?

I am disabled and will soon be travelling by wheel chair to hotels near stations in L. A. and Chicago. Is it safe for someone in a wheelchair to do so?
You didn't mention which specific hotels or stations but I didn't find the areas immediately surrounding CHI/CUS or LAX/LAUS to look or feel dangerous to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they both should be safe for someone in a wheelchair in my view. Your Chicago Hotel is in Greek Town next to a Marianos grocery store and just a few blocks from all the fancy restaurants along Randolph st in the West Loop. You could also take the west bound 126 bus from canal and adams next to Union station to Halsted and adams and go from there. The bus should be accessible.

The Metro Plaza is a short 2+ blocks from Union Station. You can see the sign from the front door.

I use a cane, and feel comfortable doing so even rolling a bag. The last time I was in LA, due to a very late CS I did not arrive until 1 am. The walk did not bother me.

The Metro Plaza is a short 2+ blocks from Union Station. You can see the sign from the front door.

I use a cane, and feel comfortable doing so even rolling a bag. The last time I was in LA, due to a very late CS I did not arrive until 1 am. The walk did not bother me.
I have been very comfortable around LAX Union Station during the day, however, right across the street is an encampment of the homeless which swells as it becomes dark so I am not sure that I would be so comfortable as it gets later in the day.

Hi it's the metro plaza near LAX and crowne plaza near CHI. Any info? Thanks
As amtrakpass mentioned, your Chicago hotel is in Greektown. It's a nice area. I've walked around there many times.
default_smile.png

If you like Greek food, I recommend either Greek Islands or Rodity's. They're both located about one block south of your hotel, on Halsted.

As amtrakpass mentioned, your Chicago hotel is in Greektown. It's a nice area. I've walked around there many times.
default_smile.png

If you like Greek food, I recommend either Greek Islands or Rodity's. They're both located about one block south of your hotel, on Halsted.
Thank you all for very helpful comments. It's put my mind at ease. All I need now is for Amtrak to perform....... Cheers from the U.K..

default_smile.png

I love Greek Islands! Never been to Rodity's, but maybe I'll try that restaurant someday.

Back