Grand Central Terminal shuts doors as Metro-North suspends service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
Travel nightmares unfold in the New York tristate area as severe weather moves through the region

Transit-service cancellations out of New York City's Grand Central Terminal set off some major travel delays on Tuesday evening.

The Metro-North Railroad suspended service on its Harlem, Hudson, and New Haven lines for a time, advising customers to find alternative travel accommodations. Service has since resumed on the Hudson line, between Grand Central Terminal and Croton-Harmon, according to Metro-North, with delays of up to one hour expected.

The New Haven line was also back up and running on a limited basis as of about 6:30 p.m. local time, also with delays of up to one hour, and reduced access to Grand Central.
The agency said there were multiple downed trees on the New Haven line and that trains en route would remain at stations until further notice.

The New Haven line was initially reopened with a 30mph speed restriction. It has since been lifted but there is severe congestion which impacts service between NYP-BOS.

The Hudson line has reopened between NYP-CRT, which means ALB service is still suspended. Trains are still holding at various stations along the route..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're planning to use the ALB line tomorrow or you're waiting for 49(15), I'd keep an eye on the website. Metro-North's Hudson line is still shut down north of POU. Trains are still holding at various stations since there is no path in either direction.

This will likely impact operations on 5/16.

Sitting in Penn Station as we approach midnight. Both the 8:55 and 10:45 pm northbound departures show as "delayed." I believe the crews working these trains tend to be approaching the end of their available work time. Not sure where it goes from here.

The Upper Hudson is open this morning, but I imagine the ride is going to be delayed. M-N cancelled 3 Poughkeepsie super expresses. Everything else that's scheduled is running.

They put us all on the Maple Leaf at 7:15, so it was a long night at Penn Station for those who were supposed to go north last night.

How many Amtrak trains go in/out of Grand Central Terminal???
Just to add to the_traveler's post: the Ethan Allen Express, Empire Service, Adirondack, and Maple Leaf are using Grand Central this summer. That's a total of 12 departures and 12 arrivals each day.

How many Amtrak trains go in/out of Grand Central Terminal???
Just to add to the_traveler's post: the Ethan Allen Express, Empire Service, Adirondack, and Maple Leaf are using Grand Central this summer. That's a total of 12 departures and 12 arrivals each day.
I assume the question was more geared to the fact that nothing of Amtrak used GCT yesterday, and yesterday was when the station was shut down (thereby implying that this wasn't an "Amtrak" issue, but a commuter railroad issue).

That said, if Metro North was shut down in its entirety, then any Amtrak train running over Metro North territory was affected (i.e. anything north or east of New York).

This same storm halted service on the CSX's Brunswick line, shutting down MARC service today. 30(15) was taken out of service at Pittsburgh.

Back