SWC Limped Into LAUS 6+ Hours Late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
Well, today (5/13) on my way back from LA aboard Metrolink, we passed train 3 SWC 6 hours late and being pulled by a freight engine. What happened? When I was on train 3 in 2016, we had engine issues where the lead engine was malfunctioning and had to ditch it at a siding before continuing to LAUS with one engine and 5+ hours behind schedule.

Are engine malfunctions becoming more and more common on the LD trains?

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWC is hard run too on locomotives. Lots of high speed running. And as the previous poster stated, the Genies are getting old. Many of the locomotives were delivered in the late 90s. Considering how many miles, handling fast trainst and lack of mx, its an impressive locomotive. IMO, more impressive than the F40 which is credited for saving Amtrak.

Well thats all great that the Genesis can take all the beating but they might as well run the train slower with a freight loco as the lead and genesis for HEP and keep to a modified schedule instead of continually breaking down. The lack of working engines might do this route in instead of Anderson.

I don't know if they're more common. Engines have been failing on long-distance trains ever since there have been long-distance trains. We'd have to see MDBF numbers to see if reliability is actually worse today than at an unspecified point in the past.

The P42s have gone through various periods of high and low reliability, for different reasons, through the years. I don't know if "An engine on a train I was on two years ago failed, and today I saw a train with engine problems" counts as a statistically valid trend.

Also, in time Amtrak will order some Siemens locomotives to replace the Genesis fleet (though with the rumored DMUs, less will be needed). Even then, you still may see a freight locomotive leading a brand new pair of Chargers into LA until the teething problems are ironed out.

Is there an order out there to replace the Genesis units, I don't remember hearing of one.

Another data point for Amtrak, how much more is being spent on routine maintenance because these units need more labor time and more replacement parts. New units would be a cap expense, but could significantly reduce maintenance costs.

Is there an order out there to replace the Genesis units, I don't remember hearing of one.

Another data point for Amtrak, how much more is being spent on routine maintenance because these units need more labor time and more replacement parts. New units would be a cap expense, but could significantly reduce maintenance costs.
I thought Amtrak took out a massive option by piggybacking on the State Charger orders for future orders. I'm trying to Google for the info but all I'm coming up with are latest news about the Chargers rolling out on routes.

Also, in time Amtrak will order some Siemens locomotives to replace the Genesis fleet...
Is there a source for this or is it merely speculation on your part?
It has been rumored, Amtrak is the entity with options at Siemens for 150 with larger fuel tanks. The states do not need such a locomotive. CEO Anderson has stated in different interviews of replacing the "P42s". So "speculating" , one could conclude Amtrak will pick up the options after seeing Chargers in use.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/more-siemens-charger-diesel-locomotives-ordered.html

"All have been ordered as options on the initial $225m contract for 32 locos awarded in 2014 by Illinois Department of Transportation on behalf of a multi-state consortium. This deal included options for up to 225 more, including 150 with extended-range fuel tanks."

Then again, maybe not, with Anderson as CEO and not wanting to add costs to LD side of the ledger, maybe GE makes him a deal for some EVOs as is (regeared of course) with a HEP added to the back like the DASH 8-32s.

The 19-23 five year plan says that "early priorities include purchasing new locomotives for National Network services." So presumably something will show up.

Also, in time Amtrak will order some Siemens locomotives to replace the Genesis fleet...
It has been rumored, Amtrak is the entity with options at Siemens for 150 with larger fuel tanks. The states do not need such a locomotive. CEO Anderson has stated in different interviews of replacing the "P42s". So "speculating" , one could conclude Amtrak will pick up the options after seeing Chargers in use.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/more-siemens-charger-diesel-locomotives-ordered.html

"All have been ordered as options on the initial $225m contract for 32 locos awarded in 2014 by Illinois Department of Transportation on behalf of a multi-state consortium. This deal included options for up to 225 more, including 150 with extended-range fuel tanks."

Then again, maybe not, with Anderson as CEO and not wanting to add costs to LD side of the ledger, maybe GE makes him a deal for some EVOs as is (regeared of course) with a HEP added to the back like the DASH 8-32s.
Well those Dash 8's seem to come to the rescue often or run in the consist as a replacement for a Genesis. Might not be a bad thing. Parts might be cheaper and maintenance also especially with so many already part of the host railroad's fleet.

The rate of failure is getting surprisingly alarming. According to a multiple spread page in Trains magazine they showcased the life of an Amtrak P42 including regular engine change out and refurbishments.

Well those Dash 8's seem to come to the rescue often or run in the consist as a replacement for a Genesis. Might not be a bad thing. Parts might be cheaper and maintenance also especially with so many already part of the host railroad's fleet.
True, very true. But I keep seeing those options for 150 with Siemens locomotives and Amtrak is getting an up close look at them as they operate them for the states.

Back to the EVO option though, just speculating, but what would concern about moving to a 6 axle EVO is that I would imagine more LD trains going to one unit, again to cut costs. Any new Tier 4 locomotive from EMD or GE will move a 10-15 car consist, just will not accelerate as fast with two.

But Dash-8s are old, less powerful than the Gens, and as I understand it, less efficient. So while they make good rescue locos, they aren't ideal for general use.

Back