Special locomotives on San Joanquin?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi

I was curious to know if there will be any special locomotives on the San Joanquin route anytime soon. I would love to catch a p42 phase lll.

Hi

I was curious to know if there will be any special locomotives on the San Joanquin route anytime soon. I would love to catch a p42 phase lll.
By special locomotives, do you just mean the 40th Anniversary P42s?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I just really want to catch a phase iii or something like that.

If anyone knows if there is a special locomotive, other than p42s or f59s or Siemens chargers, please comment.

There is only one Phase III P42, #145, so the likelihood of it ending up on the San Joaquin is pretty slim.

I saw another YouTuber that railfans the San Joanquin, and he caught AMTK 130, phase ll, on 713 a while ago, and I was wondering if it will be back.

My non-expert comment:

There is usually no rhyme or reason to the appearance of a particular locomotive on a train (except perhaps for a special event). If a locomotive change (maintenance, repair, etc.) is needed, they just grab the next one available for the train.

@bcl Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the dash 8s. Do you know what train it's on??

Says it right there. San Joaquin 704 in Sacramento. It originates in Sacramento at 5:10 PM.

I also misidentified the cabbage number. Its Amtrak California 90225.

Amtrak California has two Dash-8s I believe. Ive seen them on Capitol Corridor.

@bcl I railfan around Bakersfield, and being out railfanning at like 10:00 at night is little late for me. Do you know if it will be switching routes?

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.
Cool. It's kind of random though. The 704 of course originates in Sacramento, but the Dash-8s can be used anywhere on the San Joaquin or Capitol Corridor.

I remember one time I missed my stop and the conductor wrote a note asking the next conductor to let me ride back from Martinez. It was on Capitol Corridor, but the first train that arrived in Martinez was a San Joaquin running Comet cars. I remember the conductor manually pulling down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back