Guest Guest

Special locomotives on San Joanquin?

Guest Guest

Hi

I was curious to know if there will be any special locomotives on the San Joanquin route anytime soon. I would love to catch a p42 phase lll.

Hi

I was curious to know if there will be any special locomotives on the San Joanquin route anytime soon. I would love to catch a p42 phase lll.

By special locomotives, do you just mean the 40th Anniversary P42s?

Edited by cpotisch

Guest Guest

If anyone knows if there is a special locomotive, other than p42s or f59s or Siemens chargers, please comment.

There is only one Phase III P42, #145, so the likelihood of it ending up on the San Joaquin is pretty slim.

Seimens Charger 2101 was pulling train 701 and pushing 704 last month.

He said other than P42s, F59s, or Siemens Chargers. He wants to see the Phase III P42 (#145).

Edited by cpotisch

Guest Guest

I saw another YouTuber that railfans the San Joanquin, and he caught AMTK 130, phase ll, on 713 a while ago, and I was wondering if it will be back.

My non-expert comment:

There is usually no rhyme or reason to the appearance of a particular locomotive on a train (except perhaps for a special event). If a locomotive change (maintenance, repair, etc.) is needed, they just grab the next one available for the train.

@FrensicPic, that's true.

So in other words, the likelihood that you catch the Phase III P42 (or any other special loco for that matter) is something like 1-in-290. Good luck!

Seimens Charger 2101 was pulling train 701 and pushing 704 last month.

He said other than P42s, F59s, or Siemens Chargers. He wants to see the Phase III P42 (#145).

How about Amtrak California Dash-8 #2051, Cabbage #90228, and Amtrak California F59PHI #2008 - all pulling Comet cars?

Guest Guest

@bcl Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the dash 8s. Do you know what train it's on??

Says it right there. San Joaquin 704 in Sacramento. It originates in Sacramento at 5:10 PM.

I also misidentified the cabbage number. Its Amtrak California 90225.

Amtrak California has two Dash-8s I believe. Ive seen them on Capitol Corridor.

Guest Guest

@bcl I railfan around Bakersfield, and being out railfanning at like 10:00 at night is little late for me. Do you know if it will be switching routes?

Yep, 2. They are a rare sight.

Don't know how many Dash-8s on the "coast" but, its not unusual to see a Dash-8 in the Coast Starlight consist behind a P-42.

Don't know how many Dash-8s on the "coast" but, its not unusual to see a Dash-8 in the Coast Starlight consist behind a P-42.

Not unusual at all on the CS, but that route and operation is completely separate from AC.

Guest Guest

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.

Cool. It's kind of random though. The 704 of course originates in Sacramento, but the Dash-8s can be used anywhere on the San Joaquin or Capitol Corridor.

I remember one time I missed my stop and the conductor wrote a note asking the next conductor to let me ride back from Martinez. It was on Capitol Corridor, but the first train that arrived in Martinez was a San Joaquin running Comet cars. I remember the conductor manually pulling down the stairs.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.