First time on Acela, what can I expect? (meals in BC?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allypet

Service Attendant
This weekend my wife and I have to run down to Baltimore for a family function. Since we have pet issues we have to do the trip same day. Instead of driving we decided to try the Acela for the first time. I booked business class because of the NARP (RPA) discount but was not sure if first class was worth the over 500.00 for the upgrade. Also do they sell anything resembling a meal like first class gets, or should we pack something to eat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use.
I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.

Business Class (which as was mentioned, is 100% just coach) does not get any complimentary meals or beverages. However, I've found that the snacks available in the "Bistro" car are very good, and definitely preferable to the selection found on the NER and other similar trains. For $500, I definitely would not say that First Class is not worth it. You get complimentary meals and booze, access to the ClubAcela lounges, and a bit more space, but that up charge is completely ridiculous. Spend that money on an overnight sleeper, not Acela First.

If food is your thing, just imagine how many dinners you could have at Morton's or the Chart House for $500!
default_wink.png

Close, BOS-BAL. Don't know where the OP lives, but he said he was going to BAL.

6.5 hours one way. 2 people X two meals X 2 directions.
I’m going from NYP to Baltimore and back. Only 5 hours total.

Close, BOS-BAL. Don't know where the OP lives, but he said he was going to BAL.

6.5 hours one way. 2 people X two meals X 2 directions.
I’m going from NYP to Baltimore and back. Only 5 hours total.
That also cuts it down to just 4 meals from the hypothetical 8 that Ryan was thinking of.

Go to the "Member Trips" thread. Look for any upcoming trips on Acela. Ask he/she to check the "cycle number" when they're onboard. That's the best method I can come up with.

I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use.
I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.
FYI, I was able to use my upgrade coupons, so it’s first class for me!

Congrats! The more you drink the more you get your moneys worth.

Those don't work for sleepers, right? In which case I feel like you got pretty much the best possible use out of them!

Business Class (which as was mentioned, is 100% just coach) does not get any complimentary meals or beverages. However, I've found that the snacks available in the "Bistro" car are very good, and definitely preferable to the selection found on the NER and other similar trains. For $500, I definitely would not say that First Class is not worth it. You get complimentary meals and booze, access to the ClubAcela lounges, and a bit more space, but that up charge is completely ridiculous. Spend that money on an overnight sleeper, not Acela First.
The vast majority of the food on the Acela cafe is the same as the Regional...except more expensive.
I also believe that the $500 to upgrade is for both passengers, roundtrip, so $125/person each way. Not as bad when you think about it. But it doesn't matter because they have enough points for upgrade vouchers

You do have access to the Food Service Car (Cafe Acela) which sells some reasonable food (at least for me). YMMV. Here is a link to the menu:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Acela-Cafe-Menu-0617.pdf
Is there some rule or pattern, to figure out a head of time, if your on "cycle 1" or "cycle 2" of the rotating menus choices?
It changes every three weeks, but without knowing when the new menu cycle starts you would have no way of calculating it out.
What's your travel dates? I can take a look and let you know.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you said this weekend. Menu cycle is 2.

Enjoy your trip!

Back