Penalty for a reservation change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEREB

Service Attendant
We're due to be on Train 98 on Thursday, the 17th. We booked a bedroom paid with the Amtrak BOA world card.

I find that we have to postpone this trip for about 2 weeks.

What kind of penalty can I expect, or is there a way I can word my request to modify my ticket to incur a lesser penalty, or possibly no penalty?

Reservation agent didn't inform me of any penalty at the time of booking.

If it makes any difference, I was Select Plus when I made this reservation under Double Days, (which I know I'll lose), now I'm select.

You will get 75% of what you paid for this room back in the form of a voucher that you can use to defray the cost of your rescheduled trip.

Method of payment and AGR status are not relevant.

If the cost of the new reservation is more than what you originally paid, they may apply the full amount of your previous payment towards your "modified" trip. Talk to an agent and explain you want to modify your reservation.

It may make a difference if you made your reservation before the new cancellation rules went into effect.

Here is what Amtrak.com says:

"

Changing Reservations on Amtrak.comIf you booked online at Amtrak.com, you can easily change your reservation online

• If you made your reservation while logged into your Amtrak.com account, simply log into your account to begin the modification process.
  • If you made your reservation on Amtrak.com as a guest, you'll need your reservation number and the e-mail address or telephone number used while making the reservation to make changes.

If you do not see the change button, your reservation may not be changed through the app.

Amtrak does not charge a ticket change fee, but please note that other fees may apply. Policies regarding ticket changes vary; limitations and exclusions apply.

You will get 75% of what you paid for this room back in the form of a voucher that you can use to defray the cost of your rescheduled trip.

Method of payment and AGR status are not relevant.
While you're right.. This is a case of just modify the reservation and pay the difference.
default_wink.png

Although I'll be honest Charging 25% even to take the voucher is IMO down right stupid. That was the main reason to take the eVoucher. It gave you your entire fare back. And at the Call Center they really want you to get people to use vouchers. But not no more..

Modifying the dates of travel is not canceling the ticket. You should be able to maintain the same reservation number. The only cost would be if the same trip was a higher bucket thus you would pay the difference. Amtrak specifically says you can change the date of any reservation including Super Saver with no change fee. Availability and current pricing can change your total fare.

Modifying the dates of travel is not canceling the ticket. You should be able to maintain the same reservation number. The only cost would be if the same trip was a higher bucket thus you would pay the difference. Amtrak specifically says you can change the date of any reservation including Super Saver with no change fee. Availability and current pricing can change your total fare.
Isn't there still a time limit? Possibly a week prior to departure?

I recently changed a sleeper reservation date. The price was the same and there was no fee. But this was done a month before departure.

Isn't there still a time limit? Possibly a week prior to departure?

I recently changed a sleeper reservation date. The price was the same and there was no fee. But this was done a month before departure.
I think it's up to a day before.

I had to basically fly back instead of taking Sleeper on the Meteor on the way back from the RPA Meeting due to a family emergency. I just changed the Meteor reservation date to the return date from the AU Gathering. This was done one day before the scheduled departure of the original trip. It did not cost me anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update. I just got off the phone with Amtrak and asked to modify my reservation (less than 24 hours away). I was able to get the same fare 4 weeks from now without any additional charges. She told me since the fare was the same, it was an even exchange.

Thanks all for your responses.

Back