Best Airport Amtrak Station connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Being from Florida, combined with the CL & LSL Diner changes, I'm looking for the best flight connection(from Tampa) to an Amtrak connection for trips out West! In my mind, Denver,LAX,PDX or SEA fits nicely. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm confused by the question. Are you asking where the easiest connection is to get from a flight to an Amtrak train west? If so, do you want to take the train end-to-end? If that's what you're asking then Chicago and New Orleans are the only options, period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm confused by the question. Are you asking where the easiest connection is to get from a flight to an Amtrak train west? If so, do you want to take the train end-to-end? If that's what you're asking then Chicago and New Orleans are the only options, period.
I've done the NOL airport/station connection & found it to be a long cab ride. I forgot to mention ABQ, but it's a nice connection where a hotel isn't necessary!

I've done the CL, LSL & Card so many times the scenery isn't exciting anymore & with the Dinning changes, I've decided to fly to save money or points!
So are you asking what the ideal station/airport is to connect to a western train?
Yes, Thanx!
And you want to take the train end to end or close to it?
Haven't got that far yet,LOL!

ex: Fly to Den- Amtrak -PDX-Fly home

Well, Chicago (either O’Hare or Midway) you can take CTA, but they stop a few blocks from Union Station. in LA, you can get the Flyaway bus right at your airline’s terminal at the airport and it goes right to Union Station.

In Denver, you board right at the airport and the line ends at Union Station. In Portland, you can board the Red Line right at the airport and transfer to the Green Line which stops less than 1 block away from Union Station. St Louis has a line that begins at the airport and goes right to the station. I “think” TRE has a line from DFW to both Dallas and Ft Worth stations. (I could be wrong.)

Burbank has the train station literally across the street from the airport. Milwaukee has a station at the airport served by the Hiawatha and METRA.

San Diego's airport is very close to the Amtrak station. It wouldn't be an expensive Uber, but a public bus runs for $2 and takes like 15 minutes tops.

Seattle also has a light rail from the airport to downtown, right across from King Street Station. I've used that and it's very convenient.

San Diego's airport is very close to the Amtrak station. It wouldn't be an expensive Uber, but a public bus runs for $2 and takes like 15 minutes tops.

Seattle also has a light rail from the airport to downtown, right across from King Street Station. I've used that and it's very convenient.
Though it is a looong walk through an obscure parking structure from the LRT Airport station to the Airport terminal.

In Los Angeles there is the Flyer Bus connection from LAX Terminal buildings to LAUS. Very convenient.

In Portland from the airport Red and then Yellow/Green LRT to Union Station.

In Denver Union Station to Denver International on the A line. Very convenient.

Salt Lake City Amtrak Station to Airport on LRT involving one change as I seem to recall - Blue to Green TRAX.

Burbank is the best airport/rail connection out here, IMHO. As mentioned, the Flyaway bus at LAX is very convenient, too.

In the Bay Area, Oakland airport has a BART extension that takes you to the Coliseum BART station. From there, you can walk to the Coliseum Capitol Corridor station, or take BART to downtown Oakland. It's a bit of a hike, though, to Jack London Square. Or you can take BART to the Richmond station, and connect to the Zephyr, Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins (no connection at Richmond for the Starlight, though).

San Francisco airport has a BART station, and you can do the same – go to Oakland or Richmond. Or take BART (either via San Bruno or direct) to Millbrae, connect to Caltrain, and hook up with the Starlight or Capitol Corridor in San Jose.

Getting from San Jose airport to the train involves a bus to Caltrain or light rail. Or just take an Uber, it usually costs me about $10.

Sacramento airport isn't convenient to the train station, the couple of times I've done it, it's cost me $20-$30 on an Uber.

San Diego airport is very close to downtown and there's good city bus connections to the station. Haven't tried an Uber there, but I'd guess it would be similar to San Jose.

DA is right. I was wondering, with a 200' walking limitation, how do you even get from the gate to the terminal exit at any of these airports? i suppose you can get them to cart you over some of the way on those Club Carts. But then what?

Oddly enough at LAX if you can get to just outside the terminal you can probably get on the bus. But then there is the daunting walk at Union Station to deal with too.

DA is right. I was wondering, with a 200' walking limitation, how do you even get from the gate to the terminal exit at any of these airports?
I get a sky Cab (wheel chair assistance), I find Denver,Houston,PDX,ELP & even ABQ airports a little challenging!!!

Atlanta & Reagan,even as a young man, have always been challenging!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
BWI is easy with the regular bus shuttle between the station and the terminals. Denver is just hope off the train on to the commuter rail out to the airport. Chicago is a short walk outside to the CTA from Union Station, Ok in good weather, not in the winter. San Antonio is a straight shot up I-37 to the airport by Uber or taxi, except trains come and go in the night. In WAS I took the subway out to the Dulles shuttle bus. In Portland, ME the station is almost next to the airport. Syracuse, it was a short hop by Uber to the airport, a few miles away.The shuttle from Maricopa goes to the PHX airport.

LAX - Union station is linked by the a regular dedicated bus.

BWI is easy with the regular bus shuttle between the station and the terminals. Denver is just hope off the train on to the commuter rail out to the airport. Chicago is a short walk outside to the CTA from Union Station, Ok in good weather, not in the winter. San Antonio is a straight shot up I-37 to the airport by Uber or taxi, except trains come and go in the night. In WAS I took the subway out to the Dulles shuttle bus. In Portland, ME the station is almost next to the airport. Syracuse, it was a short hop by Uber to the airport, a few miles away.The shuttle from Maricopa goes to the PHX airport.

LAX - Union station is linked by the a regular dedicated bus.
In some airports(ELP,ATL,HOUS,ABQ...) I have problems walking thru the airport!!!

Atlanta, Chicago OHare, Washington Dulles, LAX, are difficult to rush through at any time. Try going from L at Ohare out to the end of C in a rush without leaving security. Atlanta is a nightmare when the tram fails and everyone has to hoof it. Try getting stuck out on the tarmac at Dulles in one of the People movers.

Rail Freak, I need a GPS to get through Atlanta's airport! Seriously, though, my husband had mobility limitations, and they always gave us a ride on a cart through the airport right to our gate. I think I arranged it ahead of time with the airline, but I can't recall the details. Allow extra time, of course. They may not instantly appear to pick you up. Of course, I doubt you'll start your train trip out west from Atlanta, but still.

When my friend and I flew into Denver airport a few years ago for the CZ, we took some kind of shuttle bus that dropped us off right at the train station. As traveler mentioned, I think there is a rail line that runs directly there now. I don't know how long a walk it would be to get to the rail line in the airport. I'd think that all major airports would offer cart service for those with disabilities just as Atlanta did for my hubby, so check on that with your airline. There are many people with mobility limitations, so surely there would be some kind of service offered.

Have a great trip!

Back