261 Duluth Trip Cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Well the Fundraiser for Positive Train Control has officially been cancelled by Richard Anderson's shortsighted position against charters. The cancelling of the Duluth Trip will cause a loss of $250,000 of ticket revenue. $50,000 in hotel stays, $20,000 in food purchases, and another large amount in transportation between air, gas, and other purchases.

So thanks to someone with power who doesn't understand the impact of his decisions on the state of Minnesota which has lost a major amount of economic activity. And unfortunately without a PTC fundraiser it's very likely even when the charter restrictions get revoked which will happen probably as soon as Anderson is out that the engine may never run on the mainline.

So thank you Mr. Anderson you really did a great job helping Amtrak win friends.

Disclosure: I was not contracted to work on the 261 trip, nor am I friends with most of their crew. But I do see this denial as an attack against all charter operators.

Great. Amtrak's (and Anderson's) new policies and business plan aren't just destroying Amtrak, they're taking down small businesses and workers with it.

Businesses come and go every day. I've been there, done that, got the sticker. Sometimes it is the fault of the owner, sometimes it is out of their hands. While I feel bad for whomever may have been financially affected, no one has any right to success, and if any businessperson stakes their entire plan on a single point of failure, they are nothing short of negligent if they don't consider the possibility of that point failing.

Back