Favorite European Railroad Stretch

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
What is everyone's favorite stretch of Europe's Railroad network and why?

My favorite is the Mirtenwald Railway in Germany and Austria. The line technically starts in Garmish-Partinkirchen to Innsbruck but I basically count the München-Garmish leg as part of it.

I love it because it starts off with a lovely view of Starnbergsee where the Mad King drowned. Then it crosses over some rural fields in the a Alpine foothills. And once we start approaching Garmish we are fully in the alps with alpine streams, and beautiful scenery. After Mittenwald it gets spectacular with the train clinging to the cliffs high above the valley. Going in and out of tunnels and out onto a large viaduct directly after some tunnels.

And then the descent from the valley into Innsbruck where you can see the airport, and the Inn Valley line before arriving in Innsbruck. By far one of my favorite rail lines in the world if not my favorite in the world. Trains used to run with old style coaches with open windows which was amazing to ride with my head out the entire way.

There are a few, but I think France's Cote d'Azur is my favorite, especially east of Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switzerland: Berninabahn

Spain: Alicante to Denia

UK: West Highland line to Mallaig

Germany: Rhine route passing Loreley

There are a few that come to mind:

1. Switzerland: Route of the Glacier Express, but done on local trains.

2. Norway: Oslo to Bergen with a side trip from Myrdal to Floem on the fjord.

3. Norway: Trondheim to Andalsnese on the fjord

4. France/Switzerland: Montreaux - Martigny - Chamonix on the Chatelardbahn

5. Switzerland: The old Goethardbahn through the triple spiral tunnels/bridges and Old Gotthard Tunnel between Bellinzona and Goeschenen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Germany: Rhine route passing Loreley
The fast run between Frankfurt airport and Köln is interesting too, but not nearly as scenic as along the Rhine.

Euromed (Valencia to Barcelona) has some nice views along the coast.

Has anyone done the Semmering route between Vienna and Graz along the east edge of the Alps? I'm looking at working that in later this year.

I'll second the Bergen Line - Finse 1222 yeah!

The ride along Mjosa from Oslo to Lillehammer is a fond childhood memory.

The train from Valenca, Portugal runs along the coast towards Porto (the line to Lisbon also runs briefly along the coast through the south suburbs of Porto), through charming towns and through somewhat inland countryside with delightful hills and farms. I suspect that the ride from Vigo, Spain, north bound in daylight would be quite nice with fjordlike scenery.

Back