Amtrak Celebrates 47 Years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every anniversary, I am reminded of standing on the platform, watching Metroliner 101 depart NYP on that day back in '71...
default_mellow.png

"...in advance of more long-term upgrades such as: buying modern train equipment, including Acela trainsets..."

Interesting wording. Perhaps we will be hearing more about those multiple units in the near future.

Since they talk about sending out the RFP for Amfleet I replacement by year end, we should know soon enough where they are headed on that one. Of course that has only minimal effect on LD service, if any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it speaks volumes that the only mention of the LD system on that release was how they are proudly downgrading it to the wonderful new food service were all so happy about on the LSL/CL.

New onboard experience options. Starting in June, Amtrak will offer contemporary and fresh dining choices and amenities for sleeping car customers on the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited.

That doesnt seem to tell me they are working to improve or expand the LD network. The main focus is to put all their sweat and tears in the NEC (with maybe a teaspoon in the Midwest corridors), and cut as much as possible from the Long Distance trains, until it bleeds to death.

Frankly, the mood here vis-a-vis Amtrak has become maudlin for many. "Celebrates" might be the wrong word for this thread's title. How about "commemorates", which can include things or people that are dead. [Tongue in cheek.]

Frankly, the mood here vis-a-vis Amtrak has become maudlin for many. "Celebrates" might be the wrong word for this thread's title. How about "commemorates", which can include things or people that are dead. [Tongue in cheek.]
Do you suppose watching it struggle to stay alive for 47 years might have something to do with that?
default_mellow.png

Every anniversary, I am reminded of standing on the platform, watching Metroliner 101 depart NYP on that day back in '71...
default_mellow.png
Mr. Railiner, lest we forget, the first "Amtrak train" to depart was an NYP to PHL "Clocker" leaving 1205A.

Somehow, I doubt if there was any Amtrak identity associated with that train beyond the PC's Amtrak accounting office buried deep inside 30th Street.

I can be further certain that, absent a railfan or two desiring to ride the first Amtrak train, no passenger and likely no crew were even aware of that "event".

default_mellow.png
Mr. Railiner, lest we forget, the first "Amtrak train" to depart was an NYP to PHL "Clocker" leaving 1205A.

Somehow, I doubt if there was any Amtrak identity associated with that train beyond the PC's Amtrak accounting office buried deep inside 30th Street.

I can be further certain that, absent a railfan or two desiring to ride the first Amtrak train, no passenger and likely no crew were even aware of that "event".
While you are technically correct about that detail, I wasn't about to be there at that hour to witness the Clocker's departure.

However, IIRC, there was some 'hoopla' at the first Metroliner departures, with Amtrak banner's, "Tracks Are Back" buttons distributed, and press coverage, at both ends of the line, especially in Washington....

Texas should just run their own trains for intrastate travel... and Veto the Hell out of all Texas "moneyfor any Amtrak spending on their precious NEC!!

I'm going to "commemorate" the 47th by taking a trip with my sister to Durham, NC via DC on Saturday......my first trip on both the Capitol Limited & Carolinian!

This is truly a sad anniversary for what precious little dignity and pleasure remained in riding Amtrak.

Cold cuts of questionable provenance slid under the door will reduce LD ridership to the point where the LD system will be entirely scrapped.

American rail is of such pathetic performance that amenities like a nice dining and sleeper car experience were barely enough to allow me to rationalize the cost, the absurdly slow trip and interminable delays. With those gone, I'll just fly everywhere.

Absent those amenities, it would take a rail system on par with Europe, Japan or China to get me to ride again.

Amtrak are either delusional in this respect, or are deliberately planting the seeds to ultimately scuttle the entire system.

A sad anniversary indeed. Amtrak management should hang their heads in shame.

I'm going to "commemorate" the 47th by taking a trip with my sister to Durham, NC via DC on Saturday......my first trip on both the Capitol Limited & Carolinian!
You're just in time to enjoy the Capitol...
Indeed. I probably would have with the changes anyway, possibly not as much though. Amtrak hasn't pushed me off that cliff yet.

No mention of the first major thing Amtrak did to improve service (tongue in cheek) was to eliminate about half the existing lines they took over. That set in place the issues with Long Distance service. It made getting where you want to go nearly impossible and created a situation where to get there you have to pay for more for all the travel time out of your way. Where I live it used to be an hour or so trip costing maybe 20.00 to go to St. Louis. Once they eliminated the National Limited and then later the Extension to the CN it now takes 11 or more hours with lay over in Chicago and near 200.00 in extra cost. That is a great way to deter long distance riders or even short distance. That train the River Runner used to be connected to New Orleans and Kansas City which is long distance.

As to the condition of the system now, its like most say, the slide has all been down hill for the most part. A few attempts to improve things almost always resulting in a lessening of service a little latter. When the Empire Builder was touted and for a while was, an improved service with fine dining and newly refurbished cars the train was one of the most popular and busy all most all the time. Now we see them thinking of running it three days a week. When you drive away passengers with reduced service that is how the customers react.

Amtrak is merely a symptom of a nations willingness to pay for something - or not - and the associated unrealistic expectations, which often amounts to an expectation of getting something for nothing.- like in many other areas. The individuals involved are pawns and scapegoats mostly for not delivering on the unrealistic fantasies.

When the Empire Builder was touted and for a while was, an improved service with fine dining and newly refurbished cars the train was one of the most popular and busy all most all the time. Now we see them thinking of running it three days a week. When you drive away passengers with reduced service that is how the customers react.
Where is the there any reliable source claiming that the EB will downgrade to a tri-weekly schedule? As far as I am aware, there are no official plans to cut any LD trains, and I haven't even heard discussion of making any trains tri-weekly. Even if cuts were to happen, I doubt the EB would be anywhere near the top of the list considering it's high ridership and necessity to towns along the route.

I wonder if this year will be in Amtrak's history, a "watershed year", in the sense of what the system is now, and what it will look like in say, five years?

I sure hope not...

This is certainly the year in which the transition to Amtrak 2.0 commences. As for where it will go, we are not quite sure yet. Notwithstanding all the hysteria emanating from some, I don't believe all national network passenger service will cease. But I am quite certain that what comes out the other end will not resemble anything like what we have today. This may or may not be a good thing. It remains to be seen.

When the Empire Builder was touted and for a while was, an improved service with fine dining and newly refurbished cars the train was one of the most popular and busy all most all the time. Now we see them thinking of running it three days a week. When you drive away passengers with reduced service that is how the customers react.
"Where is the there any reliable source claiming that the EB will downgrade to a tri-weekly schedule? As far as I am aware, there are no official plans to cut any LD trains, and I haven't even heard discussion of making any trains tri-weekly. Even if cuts were to happen, I doubt the EB would be anywhere near the top of the list considering it's high ridership and necessity to towns along the route.".............
I read it here. However it was perhaps speculation in regards to the new presidents discussions about rail service. Given the downgrades I wouldn't be overly surprised if something along these lines happened. Closing manned stations along the Eagle's route isn't conducive to attract ridership either. Where I live they closed the station probably 20 years ago by now. Getting a ticket on line isn't something everyone can do and not knowing if there will even be room on a train till it pulls in isn't helpful either. Worse it caused the city to tear down a lovely small brick station and when passenger service became more popular they finally built an unmanned tiny brick waiting room.

No mention of the first major thing Amtrak did to improve service (tongue in cheek) was to eliminate about half the existing lines they took over.

Texas should just run their own trains for intrastate travel... and Veto the Hell out of all Texas "moneyfor any Amtrak spending on their precious NEC!!
https://www.texascentral.com/

Kind of already happening.
Yes, the first steps....

I'd like Texas to be re-untied with Colorado again.

Ski Train from Dallas
default_biggrin.png

No mention of the first major thing Amtrak did to improve service (tongue in cheek) was to eliminate about half the existing lines they took over.

https://www.texascentral.com/

Kind of already happening.
Yes, the first steps....

I'd like Texas to be re-untied with Colorado again.

Ski Train from Dallas
default_biggrin.png
Untied is right....not re-united...
default_wink.png

I remember that fiasco when a bunch of wealthy Texan's tried unsuccessfully to actually establish a Texas State Park in Colorado, only for Texans....

That did not go over too well.....
default_wacko.png

Where is the there any reliable source claiming that the EB will downgrade to a tri-weekly schedule? As far as I am aware, there are no official plans to cut any LD trains, and I haven't even heard discussion of making any trains tri-weekly. Even if cuts were to happen, I doubt the EB would be anywhere near the top of the list considering it's high ridership and necessity to towns along the route.
From the NARP [SIZE=12pt]https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/hotline/hotline-1063/[/SIZE]

1. Amtrak’s idea to reduce service on certain national network overnight trains to less than daily service by expanding shorter segments with more than one round trip daily;
While it doesn’t mention the EB directly, I’ve seen it rumored on another site that the idea was/is to make the EB tri-weekly, but run between MSP and Chicago 3x a day.

Back