A Day in Temple,Texas!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Caught the Texas Eagle #22/#422 which was 15 minutes Early into Austin on a Sunny but cool morning.

Early into Taylor, and right on time into Temple which is expierencing a Boom with Building going on every where, thought I was in Austin!

Chatted with the friendly Agent who recommended a New Mom and Pop Joint close to the Station for Lunch, Bird Creek Burger Co.

She also told me that Temple was holding a National Train Day Celebration on Sat May 12 @ the Nicely Restored City owned Santa Fe Station.

There will be prizes,tee shirts,give aways, Motor Car rides,Free tours of the Rail Museum owned Steam Engine and Cars parked in front of the Station, and the restored old Wooden Santa Fe Depot next door, that was moved from San Saba, will be open for seeing large amount of the Model Railroad Clubs really nice Model Railroads and Equipment set ups.

There will be Food trucks, and a chance to visit the really nice Santa Fe Rail Museum located upstairs in the Santa Fe Station.( $ 2 Donation with an Amtrak Ticket)

She was also giving away Amtrak Baseballs to passengers since Amtrak is a sponsor of the Round Rock Express( I work there Partime),the Triple A Farm Club for the Texas Rangers. Last year she threw out the First Pitch @ an Express Game on Amtrak Day!.

After a really delicious Lunch @ the Bird Creek Burger Co.( Chicken and Waffles/ next time I'll try the Shrimp and Grits or the Bison Burger) and a visit to the Wonderful City Library, ( Temples version of a Club Acela!)I caught the right on time Texas Eagle #21 and arrived into Taylor 15 minutes Early ( a First on the Regular Route!) and 10 minutes Early into Austin.No UP Freight Delays!!!!

Nice Day trip to one of my favorite Texas Cities!

Try it,you'll like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed my visits to museum at Temple station.

The agent at that station is the best...really nice and helpful.

Traveled there a couple of times on the TE from LA to visit my son and family when he was stationed at Fort Hood.

(The upcoming Train Day event sounds fun.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious: how many of us are Texans? Off topic, I know, so if mod wipes it, that's understandable. And since Texas is a big state, that's a long trip for me. And to get Amtrak up to Temple? Nigh impossible.

There used to be a crusty old guy named henryj who posted and seemed to know a lot of TX RR history. He lived in Houston area. I met him on the famed TX minigathering launched by DA, Texas Sunset at the time iirc, not to be confused with Texan Eagle who was also at that gathering.

Sounds nice, Jim--don't know how I missed this post--I always enjoy reading about your day trips! Are you planning on going to the Train Day?

Back