Roomette 007 - Coast Starlight View

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shazpr

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Roomette 007 is upper level and also if it has a view, travelling from LA to Eugene OR.

Thanks

Shazpr

Upstairs room 7 is a good location, but like above, you don't know which way the car is facing until departure. Anyway, your best views are from the Sightseer Lounge and the Dining Cars.

As was mentioned, it is on the upper level. Roomette 7 is in a pretty good location, since it's near the middle of the car, which reduces truck noise and bumpiness. As was also mentioned, Superliners are bidirectional and have vestibules at both ends, meaning the orientation of the car will be whatever is most convenient to the yard crew. On single-level sleepers, odd numbered roomettes are almost always on the right, since Viewliners only have one vestibule, which must be positioned next to the dining car.

cpotisch comment may be incorrect. On a Superliner roomette 007 is not near the middle of the car. 007 and 008 are the next to last roomette toward the end of the car with only 009 and 010 next to the end exit of the car. In fact 007 is right over the trucks or just a little forward. As for the view, I have ridden on both sides between LAX and SEA and while the coast is a good view on west side, I find the east side view from San Luis Obispo north is probably better. As you leave San Luis Obispo, you pass the prison and then gain elevation through lots of curve and the view eastward is the most scenic of the Coast Starlight looking out the the Interstate Highway low in the valley while you travel high above. Not that important but most of the rail stations in California north of San Luis Obispo also exit to the east side including San Jose, Oakland, Emeryville, Martinez and Sacramento. In Oregon the exit are mostly on the west side including Klamath Falls, Eugene, and Portland.

A quick google search will bring up all the "superliner floorplan" diagrams you will likely ever need....I see 07 as second to the end of the line, had you been talking "viewliner" (single level) 07 would be 3rd to the end of the line, which would be further towards the middle.

My preference on Superliners is 3 - 8, lower the number the better, except 2 which gets noisy on some trips in the morning. One time in 2 the door under the beverage center kept swinging open. I asked the SCA if I could put a small piece of tape on it, she was very happy I had some. I gave her some extra since she was just starting a round trip.

As was mentioned, it is on the upper level. Roomette 7 is in a pretty good location, since it's near the middle of the car, which reduces truck noise and bumpiness.
As has been mentioned, not quite:

amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg

On single-level sleepers, odd numbered roomettes are almost always on the right, since Viewliners only have one vestibule, which must be positioned next to the dining car.
Only part of the year. That reverses when the consist is flipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the last major active segments of the pre cursor to the Interstate system US 101. The big North/South interstate in CA is I-5, and much of its trip through CA is through the middle (well, more to the West than the exact middle, but East of the mountains, in the valley)

As you leave San Luis Obispo, you pass the prison and then gain elevation through lots of curve
The grade north of SLO is known as the Cuesta grade and was an engineering marvel when the tracks were first installed there.
In 1893-94 workers blasted out 1,100,000 cubic yards of rock for the 17 mile section of the route and tunnels between SLO and Santa Margarita. That's a bit less than blasted out for the footings of Hoover Dam (1,500,000 cubic yards).

Later work making 2 of the tunnels wider/taller brought the total amount of rock blasted out to pretty much equal the Hoover Dam footings.

At the peak 1200 men worked round the clock on the route. In 1893 electric lights powered by a generator were installed to take the place of tallow candles.

Reactions: DoB
I have found that I prefer Roomettes #11 or #12 or Bedrooms B-F. If the Sleeper is the last car on the train, Bedroom A is "great" for access to the "trail fan window". Otherwise, not so much, in my opinion.

I have found that I prefer Roomettes #11 or #12 or Bedrooms B-F. If the Sleeper is the last car on the train, Bedroom A is "great" for access to the "trail fan window". Otherwise, not so much, in my opinion.
But isn't Bedroom A smaller? The only thing A has going for it as that it doesn't have a partition to the next room. Otherwise, I think most AUers prefer Bedroom E because it's near the middle of the car.

11 and 12 are on the lower level, many, but not all, feel has less view. The wall of E is against the hallway with the stairs and has the slide able wall into D.
I've found the lower level to be slightly louder and slightly less scenic. But it's really nice to be so close to the bathrooms, shower, and baggage area. I also kind of like being so close to the ground - I feel like I'm gliding along the tracks. The main drawback of the lower level is that you have to go up and down the stairs whenever you have to go between cars, but that shouldn't be a big deal for most able-bodied passengers.

Bedroom A is only good for the railfan window IF the sleeper is “roomettes first”. If it is “bedrooms first”, then you must walk thru the ENTIRE car to get from bedroom A to the railfan window.

I have had both bedroom A and roomette 10, with the railfan window right outside my door. Both of these were on 27/28, thus you can’t tell beforehand.

Everybody has different preferences, and different rationale. Solo travelers or people who are only sleeping in a space and go to the lounge may not care about A being smaller. Some people like upstairs, some downstairs, middle for ride, end for possible RFW, view vs limited view or the on AT where neither side has much to look at. Near the coffee and upstairs bathroom,or further down the line for quiet. I know people who can't climb to an upper, they take 2 roomettes across from each other. It's what makes the world go round.

Based on my past several trips on the CS, Roomette 07 will be on the east (inland) side of #14. I say that because I'm usually in bedroom D or E in the which has been on the west side of the train. On #11 the opposite is true. There is still a possibility the car will be oriented in the opposite direction. YMMV.

Based on my past several trips on the CS, Roomette 07 will be on the east (inland) side of #14. I say that because I'm usually in bedroom D or E in the which has been on the west side of the train. On #11 the opposite is true. There is still a possibility the car will be oriented in the opposite direction. YMMV.
That must have just been a coincidence. Superliners are bidirectional (as was mentioned a thousand times), so the cars are oriented either way. The moment its slightly more convenient for the yard crew, theyll put the odd roomettes on the west side of #14.

That must have just been a coincidence. Superliners are bidirectional (as was mentioned a thousand times), so the cars are oriented either way. The moment its slightly more convenient for the yard crew, theyll put the odd roomettes on the west side of #14.

I saw that, but you seemed to be saying that Roomette 7 will usually be on the east side of #14. Thats incorrect - it will just as often be the other way around.

Look at the diagram, 7 is on the opposite side of the car as the bedrooms. If, as with my observations from previous trips, I am in Bedroom E on the west side of the train, 7 is on the east. On the return trip, the bedrooms have been on east side of the train so 7 will be on the west.

This is based on my experience riding the CS a few times and yes, I am fully aware the cars may be oriented either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back