MARC/NJ Transit Swap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twropr

Train Attendant
NJ Transit, which is short of cars, is sending a GP 40 to MARC. MARC will be sending ten 1986-era single-level coaches. The locomotive is the only compensation.

Anyone know which locomotive? Why would MARC want another GP40?

Andy

Good question--it seems a bit one-sided to me, unless it's just MARC being a good neighbor.

We in NJ are looking forward to having another consist, but I think it's a short-term loan?

Anyone have pictures of the locomotive we're sending to MARC? Or of the consist they are sending us? (Wish it was the double-deckers, but you can't have everything, especially when someone is doing you a favor!
default_smile.png
)

This may upset MARC passengers. Many days one or more MARC trains are short 1 or 2 cars causing overcrowding. Can you hear MARC passengers ? " Giving away our cars so we can be more overcrowded ? "

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the coaches you’re getting...
attachicon.gif
IMG_5631.jpg
Thanks, Ryan. I don't know if I'll ever get to ride in it, because it will be traveling all over the system, but now I know what to look for.
default_smile.png

This may upset MARC passengers. Many days one or more MARC trains are short 1 or 2 cars causing overcrowding. Can you hear MARC passengers ? " Giving away our cars so we can be more overcrowded ? "
Probably why we're getting a single-level (maybe they hope nobody will notice it's not there!
default_tongue.png
)

MARC has a pool of retired cars they have sent out to others before. They helped SEPTA during the Silverliner problem, they lease to the LIRR for summer surge, and have sent a few cars to AMTRAK. For whatever the reason, they are not used in MARC service, a question which somebody with a better knowledge of MARC hopefully can shed some light on. AFAIK they have 26 cars 15 coach and 11 cab cars. Last summer the LIRR took 8 and have options for up to 21 for the next 2 summers. A few cab cars were going to AMTRAK for the GCT diversion. Depending on how many the LIRR optioned for this summer, and when the 8 weeks starts, there is likely no impact to MARC riders since these are unused cars. It does bring in a good buck, though.

Back