KTLA TV-5: Amtrak Ends Operation of Specialty Trains; Petition to Reve

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully Amtrak pulls back on this recent decision. Locally, this is will have quite an impact on Conductor Bill Hatrick and all the good folks at LARail.com who provide a number of excursions between LA and San Diego or Santa Barbara here in SoCal and beyond. If you've experienced this, you know what I'm talking about.

A nice piece on KTLA TV-5 (Sunday 4/8) in Los Angeles regarding Amtrak's recent decision...

Amtrak Ends Operation of Specialty Trains; Petition to Reverse Move Gains Support

http://ktla.com/2018/04/08/amtrak-ends-operation-of-specialty-trains-petition-to-reverse-move-gains-support/

That's #3 with a BNSF leader arriving at LAUPT this morning with PV's Silver Splendor and Pacific Trail.

Officials: Amtrak will preserve train excursions

"I am very encouraged after our call with Richard Anderson that we have a commitment to resolving issues with the New River Train," Jenkins said in the release. "Amtrak recognizes the importance and more than half-century tradition of the New River Train and the Hinton Railroad Days. Amtrak is willing to make some limited exemptions to its ban on charter trains, and after our call, I feel confident we will be granted this exemption. As Gov. Justice launches a new tourism campaign for the great state of West Virginia, the New River Train will remain one of West Virginia's premier tourist attractions."

"We are hopeful a plan that will benefit everyone is forthcoming in the very near future," Justice said in the release.

U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., also got a commitment from U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao on Wednesday that she would work with him to resolve the Amtrak issue. He spoke with Anderson about the decision last week, urging him to reconsider.

Officials: Amtrak will preserve train excursions

"I am very encouraged after our call with Richard Anderson that we have a commitment to resolving issues with the New River Train," Jenkins said in the release. "Amtrak recognizes the importance and more than half-century tradition of the New River Train and the Hinton Railroad Days. Amtrak is willing to make some limited exemptions to its ban on charter trains, and after our call, I feel confident we will be granted this exemption. As Gov. Justice launches a new tourism campaign for the great state of West Virginia, the New River Train will remain one of West Virginia's premier tourist attractions."

"We are hopeful a plan that will benefit everyone is forthcoming in the very near future," Justice said in the release.

U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., also got a commitment from U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao on Wednesday that she would work with him to resolve the Amtrak issue. He spoke with Anderson about the decision last week, urging him to reconsider.
Yay. I still have a shot at riding the NRT some day!

And hopefully, the fifth Amtrak Autumn Excursion....
That one however was explicitly excluded from the special trains announcement. It explicitly said that Amtrak’s own special moves are not subject of the memo/order.
I'm still not giving up hope of seeing it happen...
I think Jis was indicating that it's not currently on the chopping block. I believe each year that it has run it's been a "wait and see if we have the necessary cars, people, trackage availability" to run it anyway.

Back