Amtrak route most loved by the communities along the route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to support one of my SE trains. However probably the Empire builder might be the one and it certainly is the most important in winter.

A very eye opening statement by a fellow passenger on it was " I can get a better meal on this train and it doesn't cost me any more "

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick glance at the ridership numbers might give a hint.
default_wink.png
Although it would be somewhat difficult to normalize the numbers to account for number of offered seats and such.

A quick glance at the ridership numbers might give a hint.
default_wink.png
Although it would be somewhat difficult to normalize the numbers to account for number of offered seats and such.
Would we consider the highest percentage of riders based on the local population served ? 10 , 15 , 20 , 25 mile numbers ?

Most small rural communities love having access to the train verses driving long distances. These areas have a small population, so ridership is low, but having the train is a very important transportation link for rural America.

The exception is West Texas, which doesn't seem to appreciate its Sunset Limited service much. But a lot of rural towns do "overperform".

Agree, it is hard to support a train in the middle of the nigh three times a week. Change to a daily train with a marketing plan, I imagine you could pull so many more people. These people may need to go to LA on Monday, then return before the weekend, but only three times a week knocks these people out over and over.

The exception is West Texas, which doesn't seem to appreciate its Sunset Limited service much. But a lot of rural towns do "overperform".
Look at Del Rio's times and frequency of service.

Agree, it is hard to support a train in the middle of the nigh three times a week. Change to a daily train with a marketing plan, I imagine you could pull so many more people. These people may need to go to LA on Monday, then return before the weekend, but only three times a week knocks these people out over and over.
But that's true of any locality, small town or big city.

I would believe population is still #1 when it comes to ridership but there are other factors. In bigger cities there are other transportation options competing with the train. If the train stops by at inconvenient times or less than daily service, that will hurt. College towns tend to have higher than normal ridership. Champaign Urbana, Ann Arbor, and Charlottesville definitely outperform their "population". Also, if you are about 100-200 miles away from a major city, your train service to that city is going to be attractive.

Semi-rural college towns are kind of the holy grail of ridership: they punch *way* above their population numbers, with a large number of students coming and going every time class starts or stops.

If there were a reasonable track route (one would have to be reconstructed by buying homes) I'd strongly suggest service to Ithaca, NY :)

I feel like the Silvers are pretty well liked. Could be wrong but the Meteor is a pretty large train and has always been pretty full when I've written. It certainly helps that Florida has so many senior citizens, many of which can't or don't want to fly.

I feel like the Silvers are pretty well liked. Could be wrong but the Meteor is a pretty large train and has always been pretty full when I've written. It certainly helps that Florida has so many senior citizens, many of which can't or don't want to fly.
I resemble that remark! Seriously, it is a lot more pleasant to ride the Meteor from South Florida to Baltimore/Wilmington area rather than driving I 95 for 1200 miles.

It is more expensive but makes a wonderful trip, 4 meals which while are not gourmet fare, but a great opportunity to visit with fellow travelers.

Additionally, for the most part the SCAs and LSAs do a good job and my wife and I have become friends with several of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I resemble that remark! Seriously, it is a lot more pleasant to ride the Meteor from South Florida to Baltimore/Wilmington area rather than driving I 95 for 1200 miles.

It is more expensive but makes a wonderful trip, 4 meals which while are not gourmet fare, but a great opportunity to visit with fellow travelers.

Additionally, for the most part the SCAs and LSAs do a good job and my wife and I have become friends with several of them.

Yeah! All but one of the MANY SCAs I've had on the Silvers over the years have been great. I've found that though the views are not amazing, the farmland and fields are very pleasant and calming. It's just a very pleasant and nice way to travel.

I resemble that remark! Seriously, it is a lot more pleasant to ride the Meteor from South Florida to Baltimore/Wilmington area rather than driving I 95 for 1200 miles. It is more expensive but makes a wonderful trip, 4 meals which while are not gourmet fare, but a great opportunity to visit with fellow travelers.

Yeah! All but one of the MANY SCAs I've had on the Silvers over the years have been great. I've found that though the views are not amazing, the farmland and fields are very pleasant and calming. It's just a very pleasant and nice way to travel.
The most boring part is at night!

Back