Ga. Crossing arm keeps truck from moving -- Hit by train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
I'd like to thin that there was enough torque in a truck to overcome a crossing arm that got stuck in it.

Better to break up a crossing arm than have your truck hit...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not positive, but I believe the truck got stuck on the tracks because of the "hump", I don't believe it was the fault of the crossing arm.

Note the sign at about the 0:10 mark that says "No Trucks".

I'm not positive, but I believe the truck got stuck on the tracks because of the "hump", I don't believe it was the fault of the crossing arm.

Yes, and I believe the crossing arms will somewhat easily "break-away"
Yes, I see that now. Of course, I was just repeating what knowledgeable news station said.

Thanks for your input!

Looking at the video, there was probably more damage to the train from flat spots on wheels than from the truck (which seems to have split in half pretty nicely, and not derailed the train). I agree that it looks like it got "high centered" and stranded accordingly.

As someone who has spent two semesters on the signal gang as part of an internship I can speak to the topic.

All gates that we worked with are designed to be driven thru to let someone out of a crossing in case they are stuck. Most with a hinge like device now it'll still probably damage your car somewhat. But a truck or a bus should have no real problem with it.

Also please don't try at home folks.

Back