National Train Day 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good reason to take a trip up to Temple for a few hours in May.

http://www.templerrhm.org/national-train-day-2018/

It's good to see that they are making it a family-oriented event. There were lots of children when San Antonio and Temple had events years ago.
Having visited Temple many times, including the Rail Museum and the Model Train Depot, I can vouch that its a great place to spend Train Day!
And the,Amtrak Agent is very friendly, the Temple,Visitors Center is located insids ths Amtrak Waiting Room and the,Texas,Eagles #22 and,#21 call in the Morning and evening!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good reason to take a trip up to Temple for a few hours in May.

http://www.templerrhm.org/national-train-day-2018/

It's good to see that they are making it a family-oriented event. There were lots of children when San Antonio and Temple had events years ago.
Having visited Temple many times, including the Rail Museum and the Model Train Depot, I can vouch that its a great place to spend Train Day!
And the,Amtrak Agent is very friendly, the Temple,Visitors Center is located insids ths Amtrak Waiting Room and the,Texas,Eagles #22 and,#21 call in the Morning and evening!
Charity is a really nice Amtrak Agent! I sent a commendation to Amtrak about my experience with her on one occasion.

Temple has a really nice RR museum at the station. Been there several times when traveling to Fort Hood to visit Son and family. If you are ticketed and waiting for a train, you can visit the museum for free. I still made a donation.

In related news, the 2018 Railroad Days in Fullerton, CA has been canceled. A short note to that effect on their home page ... http://fullertontrainmuseum.org/railroad-days/

Even more news related to this event released by the Temple Rail Museum:

***Special news: The northbound Amtrak train during National Train Day (May 12) will be pulled by a special edition locomotive - one of the "heritage units" that were repainted in historic paint schemes during Amtrak's 40 anniversary celebration. This locomotive is usually in Florida, but will be here in Texas in honor of our Train Day celebration. The northbound train leaves Temple at 11:25am.

I'm not sure if this locomotive is only for the special ride they are offering from Temple to McGregor or will be used the whole length of the northbound route. Either way, I sure am glad they are trying to promote rail travel since Amtrak is challenged in that regard.

***Special news: The northbound Amtrak train during National Train Day (May 12) will be pulled by a special edition locomotive - one of the "heritage units" that were repainted in historic paint schemes during Amtrak's 40 anniversary celebration. This locomotive is usually in Florida, but will be here in Texas in honor of our Train Day celebration. The northbound train leaves Temple at 11:25am.
Hmmmm. There are five Heritage locos - four P42s and one P40.

• Phase I - #156
  • Phase II - #130
  • Phase III - #145
  • Phase III - (P40) #822
  • Phase IV - #182
Are any of those known to live in Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:
From wikipedia:

"For its 40th anniversary in 2011, Amtrak painted 4 GE P42DCs, a P40DC, and an EMD F40PH converted to a NPCU into its own older paint schemes."

I have no idea which one might be used. Would be interested in finding out before I go this Saturday, but if no one knows I'll do my best to get pictures.

Back