GBNorman

Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".

But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

Edited by GBNorman

For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".

But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.

Actually then, and now....the primary job of a flight attendant is passenger safety. They spend a lot more time in their flight academy, training on emergency procedure's, than anything else...

They have to be FAA certified to attain and hold their position, and unlike railroad train attendant's, they are governed by "hours of service" regulation's.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.

Where's the original post he partially quoted? It wasn't partisan or political. It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.

Edited by Devil's Advocate

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

Where's the original post he partially quoted? It wasn't partisan or political. It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.

The original post removed due to being sexist and in violation of the site rules requiring posting, "in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner."

Posts have been hidden discussing moderation policy. While the concerns have been noted, our rules do state that moderation issues/suggestions should be brought to us via PM. Since it's also off-topic, the posts have been hidden.