Pittsburgh station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
It's been 7 years since I took the Pennsylvanian from PGH to New York and back - and I will be making that trip again this June. Anyone been to the PGH station lately? The website says there's long term parking there, but I don't remember there being long term parking there before - I had to go to a garage about two blocks away. I'll be leaving on a Friday coming back on Monday, so I'll need three nights parking.

I'm also debating getting up to leave at 4:30am (I live near Cleveland) to make that 2 hour drive, or staying at a nearby hotel overnight so I can sleep a little. Anyone recommend a hotel close to the PGH station?

Look up the Pittsburgh Parking Authority which is across the street from Amtrak. Open 24 hours with long term parking by arrangement. The Omni William Penn Hotel is a ten minute walk or five minute taxi ride. I paid $75 last summer.

Look up the Pittsburgh Parking Authority which is across the street from Amtrak. Open 24 hours with long term parking by arrangement. The Omni William Penn Hotel is a ten minute walk or five minute taxi ride. I paid $75 last summer.
Thank you!

MMA - how did you manage a $75 rate at the William Penn. I was looking at it to attend a baseball game. Everything was in $200 range. It’s a great hotel, but last time I stayed there was on business in the 70’s. I believe it was around $30. But of course then you could still ride the Broadway Ltd and National Ltd too.

Just curious....if you are coming from "near Cleveland", and thinking about parking, staying at a hotel, etc., why not just take the Lake Shore (or even the Capitol) to reach New York?

The Westin will be the closet hotel. Pretty much right across the street from the train station. The Marriott Courtyard is not too far away on Penn. There is a brand new hotel on Smallman St. (sorry don't know the name). but it looks really nice. Anything in town is going to be very expensive,. Since you will be driving in, you might consider staying in some place like Cranberry. Though downtown will be far more interesting.

There is parking right across the street from the station. I live here and I have yet to find an easy way to get to it.
default_wink.png
I guess it really depends on what side of the building you are parked. You sort of have to see the configuration of the station to understand.
default_wink.png

Just curious....if you are coming from "near Cleveland", and thinking about parking, staying at a hotel, etc., why not just take the Lake Shore (or even the Capitol) to reach New York?
Depending on what "near Cleveland" means, it might actually be less of a nuisance to just head to Pittsburgh.

For instance, my brother lives "near Cleveland" and can even hear the CL go through a few blocks from his house. But, when he's taken the train to come visit me in DC, he'll drive to our parents house in Pittsburgh the night before since its not a long drive. Then he can get the train at a somewhat more reasonable 5:20 instead of 1:54 and still have got a few hours sleep beforehand.

Because I'm actually going to Trenton - staying with cousins there as a "home base" for a New York trip.

And I could take the Capitol to PGH, but it's too much of a pain to be up in the middle of the night in Cleveland!

FYI - Found the perfect solution - I'm staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites the night before I leave, which is only two blocks from the station. I called about the possibility of leaving my car there while I'm gone for four days - they said "No problem, we'll give you a parking pass" AND IT'S FREE! So free parking for four days just for staying there the night before works for me!

FYI - Found the perfect solution - I'm staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites the night before I leave, which is only two blocks from the station. I called about the possibility of leaving my car there while I'm gone for four days - they said "No problem, we'll give you a parking pass" AND IT'S FREE! So free parking for four days just for staying there the night before works for me!

Wow! That is a deal! And very unusual. I live in Pittsburgh and might consider this for early departures.

Back