zephyr17

Canadian Timekeeping - Bit of a Rant

It was through this discussion group, and a couple of others, as well as monitoring the live train movements with asm.transitdocs which alerted me to timekeeping on The Canadian.

It has been horrible over the five months or so Ive been checking in. I was surprised to see one train #2 stay green all the way from Vancouver recently, but everything else has been black by the time it gets to Toronto.

(snip)

The one that stayed green was, if I had to guess, #2 departing Vancouver on 2/27. That was down to a very unusual situation which resulted in the freight trains going into the siding instead.

Likely it was. So who was the special considerations passenger?

It was through this discussion group, and a couple of others, as well as monitoring the live train movements with asm.transitdocs which alerted me to timekeeping on The Canadian.

It has been horrible over the five months or so Ive been checking in. I was surprised to see one train #2 stay green all the way from Vancouver recently, but everything else has been black by the time it gets to Toronto.

(snip)

The one that stayed green was, if I had to guess, #2 departing Vancouver on 2/27. That was down to a very unusual situation which resulted in the freight trains going into the siding instead.

The special passengers are the Moonlighters group. It's a group of current and retired railroad managers who travel the Canadian on the full moon I believe every winter. Someone in the group is in really well with Canadian National. Hence it runs ontime.

The special passengers are the Moonlighters group. It's a group of current and retired railroad managers who travel the Canadian on the full moon I believe every winter. Someone in the group is in really well with Canadian National. Hence it runs ontime.

Fair dinkum? Hooley Dooley!

(snip)

Just goes to prove CN can do it if the want to.

Absolutely!! They can do it for this management group. They do it for Rocky on some its routes. VIA needs better political clout and a budget for negotiating.

(snip)

Just goes to prove CN can do it if the want to.

It isn't just one "someone", it's a bunch of them. The thing that doesn't get mentioned is that CN likely takes a not-insubstantial hit with crewing and the like (breaking up and re-assembling massive intermodal trains is not cheap, and I rather suspect they have to take some extra measures to make sure that crews don't die on hours).