Transdorm or Downstairs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got 2 roomettes on 1 & 2 (SL). Outgoing, we had roomettes upstairs but the agent said none available across from each other so she was giving us downstairs. However, they are in car 231 and rooms 17 and 18. Sounds like upstairs transdorm to me. Correct? Will we have access to shower and toilet in transdorm car or have to use the ones in other sleeper? Are they upstairs if in transdorm?

That is indeed the upstairs Transdorm. Standard sleeper is car 230, and doesn't have rooms 17 or 18. The transdorm has one toilet and shower - noth are upstairs. Your SCA will be from the adjacent sleeper, so you might see he/she a little less often than if you were in the standard sleeper, but it still shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
17 & 18 are in the Transdorm upper level. You can use the shower and bathroom in the transdorm. The transdorm has very little traffic except when the crew is heading to/from their work assignments/

Transdorms have 2 Bathroom/Showers located Upstairs, 1 for Revenue Passengers and 1 for the Crew, plus Downstairs there still is a Shower and Bathrooms by the H Room which is often occupied by a,Crew Member. ( No Bedrooms in the Transdorm except the H Room).

You'll enjoy the quietness, and the Car is usually kept very clean since the Crew lives there!

In addition to being quieter and cleaner, the crew often keeps the coffee brewing all day. On both the TE and the CONO, I was told to help myself if I wanted coffee in the afternoon.

Also, depending on the car, you sometimes end up with a bathroom/shower that's all one room (and feels bigger than the regular shower room).

Different transdorms have different layouts. I have seen more than one bathrooms d shower available. Ridden them twice and was quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Different transdorms have different layouts. I have seen more than one bathrooms d shower available. Ridden them twice and was quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
That's interesting....how many different layouts are there in total? And is there some place that shows a diagram of them?

The only transdorm's that I have ever ridden in were the old converted, Hi-Level coach-dorm's....

As far as I remember, they aren't terribly different, but I sort of remember a few don't have the H room, a few might have an "office" but the upstairs layout was pretty much the same. I've never seen a diagram of anyone other than the most common version, but I've ridden on 3, and one was a little different.

As far as I remember, they aren't terribly different, but I sort of remember a few don't have the H room, a few might have an "office" but the upstairs layout was pretty much the same. I've never seen a diagram of anyone other than the most common version, but I've ridden on 3, and one was a little different.
So there are two versions? One with the 'H' room on lower level, and the other with crew office in its place?

I've only personally seen 2, but that is by no means definitive. I have had a TD room 3 times, 2 of the cars had an H room, one did not. I assumed the H rooms were not sold on those trips based on the pieces of cardboard wedged in the doors (probably to keep them from rattling)

I've only personally seen 2, but that is by no means definitive. I have had a TD room 3 times, 2 of the cars had an H room, one did not. I assumed the H rooms were not sold on those trips based on the pieces of cardboard wedged in the doors (probably to keep them from rattling)
I want to say there are 3 versions. Some Have H room and some don't. Also some have the second shower on upper level and some don't. The H rooms in the "Dorm" car have never been offered for sale.

The two trans dorms I saw last month had the same layout (though I didn't see if there was an H room or not). Upstairs was almost all roomettes. With a curtain that I think was separating crew rooms from revenue ones. At the end of the aisle on the upper level was an office. Downstairs were a bunch of tables and of course at the end of the car (down the other staircase) was the passage to the baggage car). I just peaked at the lower level from the stairs, but all I saw down there were tables.

LOVED the transdorm. 6 roomettes and two bathroom/shower rooms upstairs. Crew area was curtain on other side of second shower so we used that at times. We had 2 of 3 customer-occupied rooms so it was like having two roomettes with 2 private showers. Very attentive SCA. They even opened the door downstairs on all "smoke" stops and at boarding and disembarking so no need dragging luggage through cars.

Back