Location of Baggage Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than likely this topic has been previously addressed, so please forgive me if this is an irritant to any established contributors. I'm a very experienced Amtrak rider but not as knowledgeable as many here on the details of operations. Why on east coast trains are baggage cars almost always on the rear of the trains? I can't get used to that sight. Any insight on this? I presume operationally it is more convenient for Amtrak. By the same token, I am trying to understand why on so many trains sleepers are in the front. Appreciate any inside scoop. Thanks.

The baggage car is on the back of the LSL New York section so passengers can walk between it and the Boston section, which is in front of the New York section with its baggage car as the first car on the train. The other eastern LDs have their baggage car in the back to ease switching of consists with the LSL in New York.

The baggage car is on the back of the LSL New York section so passengers can walk between it and the Boston section, which is in front of the New York section with its baggage car as the first car on the train. The other eastern LDs have their baggage car in the back to ease switching of consists with the LSL in New York.
Which would be a good reason why the baggage car on 67/66 is up front. I've seen it ride on the rear a couple of times, but it's fairly rare, especially now that the train gets wyed in Newport News, as opposed to just turning the engine and running it around.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

When the Viewliner Sleepers are on the back of the consist, didn't they (at least use to) move the baggage car to the far end to act as sort of a "counter weight" to keep the Viewliners from "tail wagging"?

When the Viewliner Sleepers are on the back of the consist, didn't they (at least use to) move the baggage car to the far end to act as sort of a "counter weight" to keep the Viewliners from "tail wagging"?
Yes. The current eastern LD consists have the baggage car at the back with the sleepers directly in front of it. In the past when the baggage car has been in the front, the sleepers are usually immediately behind the baggage car. This means that the order of cars was the same, just in reverse order.

Interesting. This is new to me. I may be accused of being a fuddy-duddy but I will plead guilty to being a traditionalist, preferring the baggage car in front followed by coaches, the diner and or diner/lounge in the middle and sleepers on the rear. Miss the railfan window on the eastern trains. Even on most Superliner trains the sleepers are on the front.

Yes. The current eastern LD consists have the baggage car at the back with the sleepers directly in front of it. In the past when the baggage car has been in the front, the sleepers are usually immediately behind the baggage car. This means that the order of cars was the same, just in reverse order.

The baggage car is often at the back, but by no means always. The Boston section of the LSL has it at the front, the Star sometimes does, and several others. I will say that having at the back reduces 'tail-wagging' for the passenger cars which is definitely a benefit.

The baggage car is often at the back, but by no means always. The Boston section of the LSL has it at the front, the Star sometimes does, and several others. I will say that having at the back reduces 'tail-wagging' for the passenger cars which is definitely a benefit.
It's on the front of the Boston section because that's the forward section of the Lake Shore. You wouldn't want pax wandering in the baggage car going between the sections.

The star and other trains only run with the baggage on the front when the sleepers are running in the front.

It's on the front of the Boston section because that's the forward section of the Lake Shore. You wouldn't want pax wandering in the baggage car going between the sections.

The star and other trains only run with the baggage on the front when the sleepers are running in the front.
I understand the logistics and order of the full Lake Shore consist. My point was that it's by no means unheard of to have a baggage car on the back.

On the SL trains if there is baggage car it is up front before the TransDorm. The LSL has the baggage cars up from due to the switching in Albany, When I rode the Crescent the baggage car was up front. The SM had the baggage car on the rear. The SS I am foggy on, because I thought I remembered it up front but also on the rear.

This reminds me. You typically saw the Eastern LD trains as a baggage car, sleepers, a diner, a cafe car, and coaches. Also, on the Palmetto & Carolinian, it's typically seen as a baggage car and the coaches. But now those consists have been reversed for over a year. Maybe a couple years. I wonder why?

The palmetto had the baggage car put on the back due to the cut cars at Washington. Now that the Palmetto services NER stops north of DC there are generally three Amfleet I's added with the electric locomotive.

The palmetto had the baggage car put on the back due to the cut cars at Washington. Now that the Palmetto services NER stops north of DC there are generally three Amfleet I's added with the electric locomotive.
They add cars at WAS? Why not just have them on for the whole ride, and avoid extra shunting?

They add cars at WAS? Why not just have them on for the whole ride, and avoid extra shunting?
This has been going on for a few ears now. There is no need for them to go down to Savannah because the ridership isn't there. Plus you would need a longer storage track in SAV which won't happen.

Lastly they already have to do a locomotive change there. So it's really easy the electric backs on with the three coaches in tow, couples up and heads north. And going south same principle. The cut is made after the last cut car and the electric pulls them off.

Back