Chance to see anything at Fort Worth on #421 stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant
The Texas Eagle has a short, early-afternoon, stop at FTW on its run CHI to LAX (and vice-versa).

Is it long enough for a bit of a wander to see anything of the city before re-boarding?

The fresh air would be fine enough in itself, but a bit of a leg-stretcher would be good too.

I'll be there on a late-April Saturday, if that has any bearing on things.....

The time in station is less than an hour for servicing the train to make the run to San Antonio. I walk into the station, and along the trains (there would be two, three if 22 in in the station at the same time). I wouldn't wander very far and risk getting left, especially if the train is running late,

As Lonestar 648 said, you won't have time to leave the Station area but there's some interesting things to see inside and Outside the Intermodel Station ( Amtrak,TRE,Greyhound and the Local Bus Company share the Station.)

If he's there. The Hotdogs, Brats and Cokes that a guy sells by the side entrance to the Station are really good although Lunch is served when #21 leaves Dallas.( There's also a Subway inside the Station popular with Coach and Greyhound riders).

The Crews that service the Amtrak Trains here do a first rate job. It's fun to watch them from the Platform, as well as the TRE and Freight Trains roll in and out and past the Station.

If for some reason you are really early into FTW ( ask the Crew) right next door is old Santa Fe Station ( now a Private Party Place)and Freight/Express Building ( belongs to a Local Community College.)

Also, just around the curve past the Santa Fe Station is the Great old T&P Station, now fancy Condos, but the Beautiful Lobby is the Starting point for the TRE Trains that run to/from Dallas,and next to it is the Old Rail Post Office that used to be used on that Line. Both worth a quick Look if time allows.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the departure time. If you have At Least half an hour (sometimes you have way more!), walk to the Water Garden about 4 blocks away in the leftish direction thru parking lot as you leave the station. Well worth it. Look at an online map to see exactly how to go.

I have done it several times.

Many thanks to you all. I’ll keep your advice in mind and look to cover whatever’s poss relating to the duration of the stop. I figured there’d be a chance to catch a bit of something and I’m grateful for the pointers.

(edit)

And I've now had a look at the map and see that the Water Park is only about 300m or so from the station and the old T&P station about the same distance farther. I'm mobile enough to be able to make the walk and be back in time for re-boarding if the schedule runs as planned, and it'd be even easier if the train arrives early.

Thanks again.

If you walk straight up 9th st perpendicular to the station you see FW Hilton on your right where JFK spent the last night of his life. At 5 blocks 9th ends at Throckmorton St. On the point of the street triangle there is a very interesting building, once owned by a dentist iirc.

Hey, Omaha has some great restaurants![emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There is really not much right around the station, though the city bus crowd will often provide entertainment value. The inside of the station can be explored in about 2 minutes and there is plenty of platform area to walk around on; you should see at least one TRE commuter train during your time there and (I do not know if the schedules have changed) the other Eagle may be across from you.

One of the primary 'rules' about longer servicing stops is that if the train is running late, it will NOT stay in the station for the scheduled amount of time.

The Texas Eagle is carded as a 45 minute stop southbound and 22 minutes northbound! Yes, the train will not leave before the scheduled time. But if the southbound train rolls in 10 minutes late and the engines fueled, oil checked, etc in 30 minutes, they WILL leave 'on time'. That's some intentional schedule padding. And if the train is an hour late, they may be in and gone in 20 minutes or so. Maybe 35-40 years ago, I was venturing 'some distance' from the train...in one case, about 100 yards away to get a full-train picture, and I heard the two short 'toots' of the horn indicating the train was leaving. Fortunately, a car attendant saw me sprinting for the train and kept the door open for me. I doubt that would be the case today in the name of 'safety rules'. I recall at least one other 'sprint' to get back on. But I was in my 30s back then...

Back