"Like" System Enabled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
We have enabled the often requested "Like" system of the board software. At the bottom of each post is a button that says "Like This." Click it, and your "Like" will be recorded. For each post, you will see a list of those who have liked that post, either as a direct list or a click to show the full list in a popup.

With this change, it is now possible to show your agreement with a post without have to make a post that only says that. Of course, if you have something to add to the discussion, please do.

Let us know if things do not seem to be working correctly. The controls for the board software can be a bit challenging. We think we have everything configured correctly, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The like option was always there in the 'Amtrak Forum' app. Did that do anything at that time? Were likes shown anywhere in the app?

The "Like" feature has been temporarily disabled due to a bug in the site software. Posts with quoted text from prior posts that were then "liked" resulted in fouled quote coding. Instead of seeing the quoted material within a quote box, the quote box disappeared and the quote coding displayed as "t-quote."

The issue is being investigated, and as soon as we figure this out, we will reactivate the "Like" feature.

The "Like" feature has been temporarily disabled due to a bug in the site software. Posts with quoted text from prior posts that were then "liked" resulted in fouled quote coding. Instead of seeing the quoted material within a quote box, the quote box disappeared and the quote coding displayed as "t-quote."

The issue is being investigated, and as soon as we figure this out, we will reactivate the "Like" feature.
Do you know if previous likes will still be listed when the feature is restored? Or will it be a 'clean slate'?

The "Like" system has been restored while the search for the "t-quote" bug continues. I am pleased to say that all the prior "likes' came back to life when the system was turned back on. I was pleasantly surprised.

We will clear the "t-quote" problems as we encounter them.
Thanks a lot. Was "t-quote" always the correct 'code' for quotes, just isn't supposed to be visible? Or is it supposed to just say

and for whatever reason its becoming [t-quote]?

The "Like" system has been restored while the search for the "t-quote" bug continues. I am pleased to say that all the prior "likes' came back to life when the system was turned back on. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks a lot. Was "t-quote" always the correct 'code' for quotes, just isn't supposed to be visible? Or is it supposed to just say

The latter. The people who know the technical side are puzzled, so that means I'm very puzzled.

The latter. The people who know the technical side are puzzled, so that means I'm very puzzled.
What I find interesting here is that the system still appears to recognize 't-quote' as the correct quoting template. Just by editing and saving a defective post without making any changes, the system seems to recognize it as a quote and the quote box appears.

I find it ironic that when PRR60 quoted cpotisch, the post had the [t-quote] in it. However, when cpotisch quote PRR60, tha Post did NOT have it - it was the regular coding!
default_wacko.png

I find it ironic that when PRR60 quoted cpotisch, the post had the [t-quote] in it. However, when cpotisch quote PRR60, tha Post did NOT have it - it was the regular coding!
default_wacko.png
Right, because the system seems to recognize [t-quote] as a quote template, but only once that post has been quoted or edited. So when [t-quote] pops up, the system ignores it, and it effectively needs another prompt to actually show the quote box. Very weird.

I hope everyone else understood these posts. Total Greek to me. The only thing I understood is “the like feature is working!”[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I hope everyone else understood these posts. Total Greek to me. The only thing I understood is “the like feature is working!”[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Basically, the actual text the system is supposed to see when you quote a post is:

the text [\quote]. It is then creates the quote box with the text in it and that's all you're supposed to see. However in this case, when the post is liked, that template switches from
to [t-quote] and screws it up. So the quote box disappears and all you see is [t-quote]. If you hit 'edit' on that post and then save it without even changing anything, the quote box will show up again. The same thing will happen if you quote that post - the box will show up correctly in your quote. So the website seems to recognize [t-quote] as a template, but only once it has been edited or quoted by someone else.
Hope that makes sense!

cpotisch, I thought I understood the problem from the earlier posts. But, with your easy to follow explanation, I now KNOW for sure. Thanks!

It would make more sense with the judicious use of code tags.

Also, it isn’t universal. I still haven’t seen it.
Because the moderator's are on the ball.
default_wink.png

"We will clear the "t-quote" problems as we encounter them."

I have seen it quite a lot in the past few weeks and wondered why it was happening on some quotes, but not others.

Just a thought: could the type of device used (desktop, laptop, cell phone, etc.) and/or whether one is using a browser or the AU app to read and post comments have any bearing on the problem?

There is now way that theyre on the ball enough to fix it in between when I like a post and reload the page.
default_biggrin.png

Just a thought: could the type of device used (desktop, laptop, cell phone, etc.) and/or whether one is using a browser or the AU app to read and post comments have any bearing on the problem?
Almost certainly not, since posts are uploaded in the same format on all platforms. It’s a bug in the site’s code, not in the user’s device’s code.

Back