Amtrak store at CUS is open again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Per Amtrak Employee at CUS on FB:

“You asked for it and it’s back!

The Amtrak Store in Chicago Union Station now open for business. Tell a friend! — feeling excited at Chicago Union Station.”

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

A good excuse to take a train trip!
default_smile.png
(As if I need an excuse!
default_mosking.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Merchandising always has a lot of potential, but overhead in product can be high. I've never been impressed with the online store. Hopefully a storefront will allow for the moving of clearance items and stocking of the most popular items. In a weird way, I wonder if they are affiliated with the online store, and if it would improve THAT service.

I was wondering if the store was going to reopen when I was at Union Station on Sunday. A few months ago when I was there the storefront was completely empty and then when I was there this time there was merchandise out.

Now, has anyone heard as to what is going on with the online store? Most of their apparel has been on clearance for quite a while with some items now sold out. The same is true with many other items.

Now, has anyone heard as to what is going on with the online store? Most of their apparel has been on clearance for quite a while with some items now sold out. The same is true with many other items.
It sounds like, perhaps the contract with the online store vendor (Staples?), may be coming to an end....perhaps there may soon be a new vendor...

I doubt if Amtrak would want to lose whatever incremental revenue they receive from this source...

It sounds like, perhaps the contract with the online store vendor (Staples?), may be coming to an end....perhaps there may soon be a new vendor...

I doubt if Amtrak would want to lose whatever incremental revenue they receive from this source...
I was wondering that myself about the Staples contract ending. It would make sense to have a clearance sale. I'm hoping your speculation of a new vendor coming aboard is correct.

The person who seemed to be the store manager said that the Chicago store will receive the inventory from the on-line store. Maybe it needed to be cleared from a Staples warehouse in preparation for a new vendor, but it is also possible that Maglev's suspicion is correct.

The online store's pricing seems a little off, for instance the "Metro Zippered Portfolio" is advertised as "Was $29.98 Now $25.48" yet the listed price is $19.99...

peter

Online store has been anemic for years now. The CUS proprietor was talking with me on FB about hoping for a cooperation but has a sign in the front of the store clearly distancing their store from the online presence (along with a note that cash isn't accepted).

Not taking cash? That's sure following the McDonald's model (a lot of stores in the loop are being renovated into kiosk based ordering with credit card ordering only).

There are insurance and security issues with taking cash. By not accepting cash you eliminate the possibility of a robbery or the deposit bag stolen which lowers your monthly insurance costs. With everything electronic, it also eliminates the accidental mis-count of change by a cashier, or a cashier or manager slipping a $20 in their pocket.

I suspect that the store's reopening is to move out remaining merchandise, and that the whole concept of Amtrak merchandise is going to be discontinued.
After a change of trains today at CHI, my guess is that the above is correct. The store is opposite the old ticket counters, and was closed today during the lunchtime hours. Looks like a few wearables, and some other items at the counter are available. There is a sign which notes "All sales are final", and does not note store hours.

All sales final means clearance so when inventory is very low this store will close. End to Amtrak merchandise, unless Amtrak allows licensing by a company wanting to market Amtrak merchandise which Amtrak will no control over except their logo. Just like Universities do with all the college sweatshirts, etc.

Not taking cash? That's sure following the McDonald's model (a lot of stores in the loop are being renovated into kiosk based ordering with credit card ordering only).
The kiosks may be cash only, but there will still be a service counter...

Not sure what the kiosks in the States will do, but if they're running with the same options as the ones in Canada (who had the kiosks first, by the way), it will give you the option to pay by credit/debit/gift card, or cash via the counter.

I suspect that the store's reopening is to move out remaining merchandise, and that the whole concept of Amtrak merchandise is going to be discontinued.
After a change of trains today at CHI, my guess is that the above is correct. The store is opposite the old ticket counters, and was closed today during the lunchtime hours. Looks like a few wearables, and some other items at the counter are available. There is a sign which notes "All sales are final", and does not note store hours.
There is more inventory than is shown on the shelves, and more inventory than is in the store. The manager had to leave the store and go somewhere else in the station to get the items I purchased.

I was in Union Station on Wednesday. The store actually looked surprisingly good. They did seem to have a ton of stuff. I wonder how well the stuff sells on a normal day.

Do they have posters? I have several, however, I would like one ore two more. The online store doesn’t carry them any more.

Do they have posters? I have several, however, I would like one ore two more. The online store doesn’t carry them any more.

I found this page. I’ve not ordered from it yet as I have all the posters I want, but the selection and prices look good.....plus they have other merchandise too.

http://www.transitgifts.com/shop/amtrak-prints

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

For those who have been there before, what kind of items do they have here? I'm assuming just the general shirts/hats/blankets/coffee mugs selection? Will be starting my CZ journey there in August and would like to know what to budget for! Haha.

I was hoping to get like a diecast train maybe, or maybe something specifically CZ-related.

Edit: Nevermind, sounds like it is a wholesale clearance going on. Haha.

I found this page. I’ve not ordered from it yet as I have all the posters I want, but the selection and prices look good.....plus they have other merchandise too.

No Texas Eagle print? [emoji22]At least the prices are reasonable. The artist sells them on his website for a pretty penny.

These are 11" x 17"--that's kind of small for a "poster."

Back